Suggestions for a lite lure cating reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by loppdawg69, Oct 17, 2007.

1. loppdawg69

loppdawg69 New Member

State:
    California
    Around this time all the reservoirs in my area get reel low before the rains and it makes shorefishing down right horrible. This is the time i usually bust out trout or smallmouth lures and hit the water. I am looking for a nice low profile casting lure capable of tossing up to 1/16 ounce lures. Willing to spend roughly $200. I have looked at the curado line starting with the 101D or the 201DHSV. I like the 201 for its lightning fast retrieves for when i take it largemouth and for its line capacity but i believe the 101D would get my line out farther with the lighter lures. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    While those are great reels. IF you want to cast lite lures as far as possible. I would have to recomend a spinning reel/ JMHO

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Hello Nate i'am guessing that your in nor-cal? I'd would have to agree with what Bearcat said ..go with a spinning reel dude....Nate if your going to target trout and small mouth i'd really look in to a small shimano spinning reel they can cast small line and a lure a long way's
    ...may try setting it up with some silver thread line... it's a copolymer line that is super strong has low memory and is tuff as nail's...I would not be afraid to use this line in 4# test for channel's in the 15 # range as long as your drag is set properly:wink:

4. loppdawg69

loppdawg69 New Member

State:
    California
    I may give that line a try. Mainly i am trying to increase accuracy, distance and reduce line twist. IM PLAGUED BY IT! What type of silver thread would you suggest. Im thinking the super silver?

5. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Nate,
    Tim and James offer sound advice for what you've described. Not to many casting reels are all that effective with the lighter jig's and swim baits...

A spinning reel would be with out a doubt your best bet. This is really my first post out 80-something, that I'm actually going to recommend a spinning reel haha.. but this situation calls for it and well.. I do own a few.. but SHhhhh......

I will differ on the reel recommended however. My favorite light line reel for trout and pan fish ( and occasionally bait fishing in the salt) is the Daiwa Tournament SS. With out a doubt the best spinning reel I've ever owned (well under $100).

If I just had to try a casting reel...
    You may want to try the Abu RCN40 ... the lighter perforated spool would give you an advantage, and I know people that LOVE the larger version's but weather or not they'd be effective down to 1/16 is difficult to suggest.

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Well Nate i think you got all you need to know in the last few post lol I have read all the post that Crucial has posted since he joined and i truly belive he DOES know what is talking about ...But he's from so-cal so i'd still go with the shimano :eek:oooh: lol

7. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    :waaaht: LOL..
    not sure if I should be afraid or flattered

Never said I was from So Cal :wink:;
    Just happen to reside there for the time being :big_smile: (actually I'm in UT right now.. trying to assist with some family issues)
    I didn't even notice this was almost a CA only thread LMAO!

Shimano makes some good reels... I've owned many over the years.. I don't happen to have any of their spinning reels right now.. but I do still have the first Tournament SS I bought back in high school (Oh.. I miss the 80's) and still fish with it :big_smile:

8. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    clearly a spinning reel is what you want. i have a pfleuger trion 4730 that is an excellent reel, and reasonably priced, and i also have a shakespeare sigma 4325S that does real well also.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Definitely a spinning reel. The waters and size of fish will determine just how small a reel you can use, but I spent 5 years in Montana fishing with little other than a Mitchel 309 (left hand 308) and a pocket full of Mepps spinners, fishing everything from streams I could step across to the Missouri River. I used mono, and had line twist just like you; it seems like you can't get away from it when using mono. So, a couple of years ago, I decided to try using braided superline on a spinning reel; 20# Remington Core-Lockt (same diameter as 6# mono). I love it! No more line twist. Cast as well as high quality 6# test mono. You can use either a swivel or an Albright knot to attach the braided line to a mono leader. I didn't go with lighter line because I use that rig for skipjack fishing, and since I've had them frequently break 10# mono, I wanted 20# test line. Use it with a 15# test mono leader, and I don't have to worry about breaking off my expensive superline.

10. loppdawg69

loppdawg69 New Member

State:
    California
    It looks like braid is the way to go, and i definetly like the idea of a mono leader. I think this weekend i am going to have to give this a shot!

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I'd also have to recommend a spinning reel for the really light stuff. You may want to look at the finesse reel that BPS makes or possibly the Wally Marshall Crappie baitcaster. I don't know what the quality on these reels is like, but they should be made to cast the smaller lures with a little more ease than other larger baitcasters. However, I'd just go with the light spinning outfit. It should serve you well. Just get a good quality reel and you'll be alright.