Suggestion on where and who in Santee Cooper area?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Big Dav, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Hello,
    I have to make a quick overnight trip to SC this weekend. I know it is shot notice but I was looking for the best area and possible guide for Sunday night Oct 28th. It will be for myself and a friend. I have looked on line and found a couple of guide services but know nothing about them, and this is very short notice.
    I have never fished in the Santee Cooper area and I cannot bring a boat with me on this trip. Just want to catch some fish to make the trip something other than business.:big_smile:

Thanks for any and all help.

2. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    David, check out the some of the guides in our growing Guide Partnership. Chris Simpson (chrisblue) of Fightin Da Blues Guide Service and Rodger Taylor (mudkip) of Catfish ON! Guide Service are both in South Carolina and you'd get a great trip going out with either of them.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the reply. I was looking through that section and trying to figure out who was where. Thanks I will contanct those two and see what happens.
    Thanks again,
    David

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    It doesn't look like either of those two are in the Santee Cooper area. I am still looking.
    Thanks again,
    David

5. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    What area of the lake will you be in? You want to catch Blues or Flatheads?

6. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Big Dav what days are you going to be down here. We'll be down monday the 29th. Shoot me a PM.

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the replies,
    I have to deliver some tools to Florence SC on Sunday.
    If I can arrange some fishing it would have to be for Sunday evening and Sunday night. It would not matter what area it was in, just where the fishing is good.:big_smile:
    Thanks again,
    David

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Dave I live in Florence and if I wasnt working I would have been glad to carry you out but I am working nights until tuesday morning. Maybe next trip. PM me for info on a guide. Good luck.

9. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    David,
    PM me for a guide that can put you on some fish down there.

GARY

10. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    PM me for a guide I recommend. :big_smile:

11. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks to everyone for the replies and the attempts to help me find a guide on such a short notice.
    I contacted a suggested guide on Saturday to book the trip and called back on Sunday to make sure I had him for Monday morning. We were all set, I left home at 6 am Sunday (near Bristol Va). Drove to Wilmington NC, The back across to Hartsville SC. Then turned south on I-95 to Santee. After fourteen hour of being on the road for business we got Santee and crashed in our room. I had tried to contact our guide several times during the day on Sunday with no luck. I got not return phone calls from Saturday night or from Sunday after several left messages I figured we would just meet at the arranged time on Monday morning, 6:15 - 6:30 am. At about 4:40 am my cell rand and it was our guide for the day. He had called to cancel our day due to weather. The wind was forecast to blow 20-25 mph and he said it would be to rough to fish. :sad2:
    I was very understanding until I opened our room door and the wind was not blowing. We were staying very close to the lake, keep in mind. I still told my friend that it could be rough on the lake and the guide may have did the right thing. Well, I had driven to the Santee area to fish for the first time and I had ordered a bunch of Driftmasters and had made arrangements to drive by in Manning and pick them up after or day of fishing. So the trip was not a total lose. My friend was not so understanding, he was very upset and still is. He had only made the trip because of the promised fishing trip on the renowned Santee area lakes. :angry:
    We were int he Manning / Santee are until just after lunch time. The lake did not look to be rough and the wind was not blowing very much. There looked to be some chop but I have fished in much worse conditions and done very well. This only added fuel to my friends fire. The more we talked about what had happened the more it angered me. More than anything the non- return phone calls and lack of communication bothered me more than the canceled trip. I think it best for me to not mention the guides name since I am trying to understand.
    The only good thing that did come from the trip is a big box full of Driftmaster's but those could have been shipped cheaper than the trip from Hartsville SC, the room for the night, our fishing license, extra meals from spending the night and extra day in the Santee area. What a waste of time and money.

Sorry, I guess I just needed to vent after the past six plus hours on the road thinking about what had happened and the frustration of not getting to go fishing.:tire:

Thanks again,
    David

12. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    I know the feelin about a trip gettin cancelled. but i can also tell ya that santee ain't no joke either. it is one of those places that can be calm one minute and have 4 and 5 ft chops 15 min later. ppl that fish santee can tell ya that when they forcast 20-25 mph winds it is safer to stay on the bank. only thing is, forecasts arent' always right. i imagine the guide was just doing what he thought was the safe thing to do.

Joe

13. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I think that's a load of garbage!!!!! Even if the wind is blowing hard, there's places you can fish on the lake and get out of the wind. We always trailor up and go above the 95 bridge when there's a stiff northwest breeze. The waves up there will only be 2 or 3ft compared to 5 or 6ft down at the lower end of lake marion. Not to mention that you could have fished in the diversion canal.

If the guide had really been worried about the wind, he should have told you it would be rough, and that yall may have to fish in places hidden from the wind, like the diversion canal, with limited success, and he then should have asked you if you still wanted to go on the trip. Instead of not giving you an option and just canceling.

That's extremely unprofessional and I am sorry that you had such a bad experience:angry:

14. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Just for record the NOAA wind warning for Moultrie did not expire until 5:00 am this morning. The wind on the lakes is no joke. 20 to 25 knot warning from Saturday thru 5:00 am Tuesday.

15. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sorry to hear about your cancelled guided trip. You have to understand that when they are calling for those kind of conditions (whether it happens or not) that it is in your best interest that a guide cancel a trip. I know it sucks as I have had it happen to me before, but I also understood later on that the guide has a lot of money tied up in his boat and equipment and your safety to worry about as well as his own. Sure he probably could have taken you out in a calm cove and still charged you for the trip and you not catch anything. He could have taken you out when the winds were calm in hopes that the high winds they are calling for dont happen but trust me when I say you dont want to try and fish out in the middle of the lakes when they are calling for high winds because it will make for a miserable fishing trip if the winds pick up and could be dangerous (especially with the water levels being as low as they are right now). Most guides have a good rep of putting you on fish and if he could not safely do so then it is better off that he cancelled. I am sorry to hear that you drove all that way for a good fishing trip and the weather wouldnt co-operate (Not the Guides fault) but I am sure that if and when you do plan the trip again and if the weather holds out that you would be much happier. Goood luck with your next fishing trip.

16. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    and for what it is worth david I do think that it sucks that he did not return your phone calls.

17. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the help and the comments.

That is really the only part of it that I had a problem with. He should have returned my calls. I understand about the weather and I can say I would have probably done the same if I were in his shoes. My questions when did the weather report for the Santee area start giving the wind warnings? My guess is that it was before I got down there and he should have known that and told me about the possibility of high winds / canceled trip.

I was really tired last night and just needed to vent a little. We were more disappointed than anything else. When I did talk to the guide on the phone he seemed very nice and extremely knowledgeable. I have thought about calling him back and talking with him about the whole thing. Just to let him know I did not like the fact that I could not get a returned call. I know if I had a client that I was going to be taking fishing the next day I would make sure I could be reached on the phone if he tried to call.

I don't have any hard feeling toward him and who knows may get together with him in the future. We were really looking forward to going out with him and learning a lot from him about the area and seeing some of the techniques used. The next time I will have one of my boats with me, even if I am going to be going out with a guide for one day. I will have a back up plan.:big_smile:

Thanks again to everyone that replied and helped me try to get a trip on such short notice. You all are great and I hope to meet some of you guys one day. :0a31:

David

18. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    david if you let me know a wk ahead i will be glad to take you out as long as the wind is 25mph down.night or day i fish the lower lake most of the time.ron howard

19. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Ron,
    I will make sure to let you know the next time I can make it down that way.
    Thanks very much,
    David