Suggestion for a quality spinning combo?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by nralover, Aug 3, 2008.

1. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    What am I really looking for in a dedicated catfish rig? Graphite or glass? Medium heavy rod or heavy? How much do you need to spend to get a good setup?

2. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    That would depend on what type of fish you plan on catching. I like to catch channel's and big flatheads. The rods I use are 8 foot medium/heavy action. They do well for 5lb to 60lb fish for me. If your going after small eater size channel's then a light action rod works well. The main thing I look for in a rod is the tip, it needs to be soft so you can see light bites and the backbone needs to be strong. I was sceptical about buying a Berkley glo-stick untill the other day. I used it tonight and caught a 4lb flathead, was a fun fight, then I brought in a 23lb flat,no worries about the rod at all.
    The Hawg Seeker combos are pretty neat rods for cheap. You could get a glo-stick and put a new Okuma bait runner reel on it.
    Don't think you have to spend alot of money on a rod and reel to catch fish. You can go all out and get a catfish safari rod and a penn or abu garcia reel,quality stuff. Or you can go to walmart and get a combo that will last a year or two.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Be realistic...what size fish are you likely to catch? Most people, myself included, are over-gunned for 99% of the fish we catch. As a result, as we drag in our fish we miss out on a lot of fun.

I have three Shimano Symmetre 4000s that have stood up well for over 10 years of use and abuse. I can recommend them without reservation. They are spooled with 40# Power Pro, not because of the fish I catch so much as the snags I catch.:wink:

For a rod, pick an Ugly Stick. The catfish series, available @ WalMart for around $30 will handle most cats, most of the time. If you want to have a blast, go lighter, and if you plan to target big fish or fish big rivers, you'll need to go much heavier.

4. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Like others have said your style of catfishing and your budget should be the determining factor. I don't use much spinning gear for cats anymore but I used to. My favorite reel is the Shimano Baitrunner. They come in several sizes depending on how much and what size line you will be using. For rods well the sky is the limit here. If money is a concern then go with some type of Ugly Stik. If quality and longevity are what you need then go with something like a Catfish Safari rod.
    I know that most of us catmen tend to overdo the rigs we use. That said though, I would rather have the better and stronger equipment and not need it than to need heavier stuff and not have it.

5. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Pure graphite tends to be stiffer than pure Glass or a composite, I recently picked up a pair of Daiwa rods, both 7' medium action. Minor differences in handle, guides and finish. One was 18$, the other was 12$. Both were composite, having both graphite and glass in their construction. Both have a nice soft tip, with lots of backbone, and cast like a dream.

As to reel, after being impressed with the Shimano fx 2500 combo's that my wife is using I picked up a Shimano 2500rb reel for 15$. Mated to one of those Daiwa rods it made a very nice setup for around 30$. Casts like a dream, fast recovery, rear drag, and added at least 20 yards to my casting distance with no change in line or sinker.

I think however when it comes to brand names at least half of it is what you feel confident with.

6. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    So, would you say most peaople chase cats with a glass rod? The majority of my experience is bass fishing, and I use graphite rods for that. My St. Croix is a fast action, medium power. I love its fast lockup just below the tip for a quick hookset. Is that not what you need for catfishing? I have seen several big bame style rods and combos at Wally World, but they all feel "rubbery" compared to what I am used to...

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    If you use and like quality graphite rods, a $30 glass rod is gonna feel pretty heavy and crude to you.

As long as you don't mind the extra care graphite needs, there's no reason why you shouldn't stick with it.

8. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Are the catfish Safari rods a glass rod? I'd rather be overgunned as you say, than not have enough. I have pulled in some pretty big bass and a 24 inch channel cat (caught on a Chompers hula grub, lol) with my St Croix, and I never worried about its strength. That being said, I might fish in the Meremec river, and the Mississippi is just a couple miles from me so it would be nice to know that I have the equipment to tackle the big boys. Is a medium heavy rod enough for the hawgs? Also, what is a good weight mono line to use in case I get ahold of a monster?

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'm the wrong guy to ask on big river questions, but someone will come along and help you out. The CS rods get rave reviews from just about everyone who fishes them, so I don't think you could go wrong with them.