Suggestion for 2 piece medium action baitcasting rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Taliesin, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I need to get more practice in using a baitcaster before I start using one for my catfishing. I keep a rod and reel in the trunk of my car (not my normal fishing vehicle) for fishing during lunch and immediately after work. The car has a pretty small trunk, but I can fit a 5' 6" two piece rod in it. I looked on Shakespeare's site and couldn't see an Ugly Stik that fits these requirements, so I am looking for something that would work well.
    Rod will be mainly used for bass, with some action from whatever else hits on it (including cats up to 5#, I catch them on spinners).

5' 6" or shorter, 2 pieces, Medium action, casting rod.
    I guess if it is more than 2 pieces it could be longer, but longest piece can't be any longer than 2' 6".

Yes, I have a really small trunk on the car ('05 Crossfire convertible).

2. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Im pretty sure that Ugly Stik makes some two peice baitcasting rods.

3. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was looking, but all I saw were ones that were 6' or longer. Still can't fit that in the trunk.

4. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    Can you fit something a bit bigger in your back seat? The problem with a rod that short is it will hinder your casting distance and control. I think you'll learn better with a rod closer to 6.5' or so. I learned with a Penn 109 and a 5' 6" broomstick of a rod. I wouldn't suggest that to anyone.:lol:

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Back seat? It's a 2-seater convertible. The ponds I fish with it won't need much casting distance anyway.

6. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Curtis,

I'm not sur why you need it shorter than 6' and also in two pieces. The ugly sticks do come in shorter lengths...I just bought 4 from Wally World. They are black with blue trim. If you need the specifics, I can send them to you this afternoon. I have Quantum and Abu spinning reels on them and they are great for the purpose you stated.

7. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is for a pole that's going to stay in the trunk of my car for fishing during lunch and right after work before I get home. It will be in the trunk of a car that is a two seater with small trunk.

I was looking on the Shakespeare site, but didn't see any 2 part casting rods short enough to fit. I tend to do more casting during my day fishing (mostly bass) than I do my night catfishing, so I would be getting more baitcasting practice. Because it will be for (mostly) bass fishing with in a very mossy pond, it needs to be medium action. I could probably get away with medium light, but then I will need advice on a baitcasting reel to go with it too.

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'll have a look around the web for you. I think it might be hard to find a rod that short in a two piece configuration though.

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've found a lot of them for spinning reels, but not for casting. I was starting to lose my mind for a little bit so i called for help. :)

10. kfritts

kfritts New Member

State:
    Indiana
    while i've never used one, have you thought of a telescopic rod?

11. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It's a thought, though I haven't seen any telescoping casting rods. All the ones I have seen are spinning rods (and light action or smaller).

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Look at any manufacturers website and look at PACK rods.These are multiple piece rods that pack into small spaces.The benefit is you can get a longer rod which will help you more ,with the new ferrules they have reasonably good action,and again fit anywhere.I have two Fenwick pack rods that have gone all over the world with me and are still going strong.:smile2:

13. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'll have to double check on those, but again all of them I have seen were spinning rods.

14. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    Cabela's has one. I'd post a link but not sure if it's allowed.
    Not cheap at $140, but I'm sure there are others. I see Eagle Claw makes one, but I think it's at the lower end of the quality line.

15. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Frankly I'm not too worried if it is at the lower end of quality. It's just going to get used for baitcasting practice on bass.

This will be the stay-in-the-trunk and fish-during-lunch beater rod. My current one is a $20 bass pro shops spinning combo I bought at the BX here.

16. kfritts

kfritts New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i saw an eagle claw, medium action, telescopic, caster on ebay the other day. it was at $10 at the time.