Sugeyes for flatheads.

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by flathunter, Jan 26, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I can usually catch a few saugeye at my flathead spots, I have tried them many times live and cut for flats....Never got a hit, anybody else have any luck using eyes?

2. jg_gmc

jg_gmc New Member

State:
    west virginia
    yes, once....my dad had actually hooked a cat with the tail of a saugeye, but it was a weird cat... had a white tail and wasnt very big, we got it to the bank but it threw the hook before we got it outta the water. other than that ive never seen em used.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Never tried it but I would imagine it should work, I haven't found flatheads to be too awful picky, if it's alive I am sure they will take it. They eat each other for god sake!:smile2::eek:oooh:

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dude, they eat CARP:eek:oooh:......... you eat a nasty A@@ carp and you will eat ANYTHING!

5. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Flatheads should eat saugeye! On the Ohio river, I've used live sauger as bait and had good action when the flatheads would hit nothing else!

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I caught several flatheads last year on the Ohio river using saugeyes. They worked the best when hooked through the eyes.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Jack I have my best luck with saugeyes as bait when I hose them down with WD/40 first, then rub a hotdog on their belly. JK man. I have used them many times without so much as a sniff. I think they are related to gar. lol

8. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I think a flattie will eat ne other fish that will fit in its mouth. Jug fishing Ive seen large flatties with almost 2ft channels down their throat. I dont think their 2 picky, but if I had 2 pick one bait it would be big redhorse suckers.

9. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like sauger and saugeye too well to use them as bait,throw the smalls back to grow.
    Jake