The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
319 Posts
I have a Quantum Optix 60, loaded with 50# braid. It casts really well. Smooth cast and retrieve.

Reactions: Brackish*Water

·
Registered
240 Posts
How much line do you need it to hold? The Diawa DF100 will hold about a 1/4 spool of whatever size mono you want. It ain't a pretty reel and but it's big. I think they can had for under 40 bucks (last time I checked). I've had mine about 12 years. I used it for casting crab snares, plunking for surgeon & salmon, and fishing the salt back in Washington. I use it for snagging since I moved to Arkansas. There are better reels higher up on the price point but if you need a huge spinning reel without a matching price tag...It ain't bad.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
319 Posts
How much line do you it to hold? The Diawa DF100 will hold about a 1/4 spool of whatever size mono you want. It ain't a pretty reel and but it's big. I think they can had for under 40 bucks (last time I checked). I've had mine about 12 years. I used it for casting crab snares, plunking for surgeon & salmon, and fishing the back in Washington. I use it for snagging since I moved to Arkansas. There a better reels higher up on the price point but if you need a huge spinning reel without a matching price tag...It ain't bad.
I think my Quantum was around $40 or so.
And braid is most often smaller diameter than mono. So, mine has a LOT more than it did when I had 20# mono on it.

Reactions: Brackish*Water

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
319 Posts
The Penn Fierce series and the KastKing Sharkys are my favorite bait runners. I used to run the Okuma ABF series, but the clickers weren't loud enough for my old ears.
My son loved the PennFierce reels.
I want one, but it seems they are scacre as hens’teeth in OkC. So, I bought a Penn Wrath (I believe it’s a 60) a couple days ago. Only thing is, darn lakes here are still frozen, so I haven’t had a chance to wet the line yet.
B5854295-E625-4C3C-BB6A-E14C223EBDA6.jpeg

·
Registered
240 Posts
Penn pursuit III has the ht100 drag at the sub $50 price tag. Not baifeeders but a solid reel

·
Registered
353 Posts
Haven't been able to find these combos any more..Plus they only take up to 20 lb line..I think they quit making them or changed the name to Alpha..But I'm actually looking for something bigger and better..
Something I've noticed about all reels, spinning and other wise, they will hold a lot heavier line than recommended. Yo got a reel that holds 300yds 20# line it'll hold enough 30# like to work for you. Shoot guy's re putting really heavy braided line on reels rated for maybe half the wt line! Just a guess but I think the important thing is the pounds of drag. If you have a reel rated for 20 pound line with 18 lbs drag, what's it gonna hurt if you fill it up with 100 pound line and set the drag at 18 pounds? I don't use spinning reels for cats, love my level winds. I have a spinning rod that was on a rod I found some time back. Daiwa J-25 It was on a med heavy 10' rod and wouldn't bother me much to fish for big cats at all. Ialso have a Mitchell 300 and all myther spinning reels are very small a few ultra light's. This Daiwa J-25 feels like a tank in my hand!

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
319 Posts
I know what you’re saying,Don.
I have the Pann Wrath, loaded with 65# braid, a Quantum Optix 60 (50# braid), a Zebco spinner (30# mono), a Lews spinner (20# mono), 2 low profile baitcasters ( 30# fluoro on one, 30# braid on the other) and an Abu Garcia 6500 C3 (50# braid). (Again, thank you VERY much, Denny. I look to improve my PB with the Abu.)
What I find to be kinda funny, two of my PB cats were caught on the Lews, with night crawlers.
Go figure, huh?

·
Premium Member
Southeast mo Mississippi river
669 Posts
I know what you’re saying,Don.
I have the Pann Wrath, loaded with 65# braid, a Quantum Optix 60 (50# braid), a Zebco spinner (30# mono), a Lews spinner (20# mono), 2 low profile baitcasters ( 30# fluoro on one, 30# braid on the other) and an Abu Garcia 6500 C3 (50# braid). (Again, thank you VERY much, Denny. I look to improve my PB with the Abu.)
What I find to be kinda funny, two of my PB cats were caught on the Lews, with night crawlers.
Go figure, huh?
Have you got to play with it yet?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Okuma Avenger ABF.

I'm a Shimano guy but I love this thing. It's smooth as glass like a Shimano and it casts a mile with only a 2 ounce weight.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
319 Posts
Have you got to play with it yet?
I did. I put a 3 oz flat, round weight on it after the snow last week. Reel is on an 8.5’ MH rod. Cast it about 35-40 feet, maybe 15 times. Then I added another 2 oz, and “cut loose” with it.
At first, I thought I had lost the weights, couldn’t see where they landed. When I started reeling it in I could see it kicking up snow (dry snow on about a 1.5-2 acre patch of open field at Crystal Lake).
It had gone about 200 feet, with just a tiny bit of over spin. I only had to pull the line three times to remedy it.

I think I’m ready to give some cats a sore lip with it.
Actually, what I have been planning to use it for is live or even cut bait under a balloon. Let wind and current carry it out.

Thank you for this great reel (yet again 😀).
I do still intend to use my spinner reels as well.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts