sugarcreek/ lk. spfld spillway

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by 4bratsdad, Oct 11, 2009.

1. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    illinois springfield area
    just wondering if anyone on here fishes this area, i've always loved this creek for nice channels, few flatheads,some really big snappers, fished it tonight caught few nice ones went all the way to the damn, it's still wide open, hoping to go back tomorrow

2. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Although I have never fished it myself - I have had several friends that hit it regularly and swear there are some nice fish that get pushed over the spillway...keep giving the reports as I have considered it myself. Do you fish it from the bank or go up the creek by boat?

3. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    went up in boat 1st time yesterday, i usually fish bank, have several spots, but tend to stay mile or so north of damn,years ago i use to park at red lobster walk under highway, and i have many friends cousins that still do, but the cwlp security will run you out, we had security stop and look at us last night round dark, but they didnt say anything just waved and drove off, ive caught many great fish outa that creek its only boatable while damn gates are open, just wonderd if blues would go over damn? the walleye seem 2 ive got large crappie, channels,flatheads, whitebass, smallmouths, big turtles over 30lbs, i reported large fishkill bout 10 years ago,local biologist told me he found several flatheads over 50 dead in that area all the way to mechanicsburg rd, had a sewer pipe break across from chedders. i dont know of a blue yet pulled outa there

4. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    yep I've been told blues do occasionally get swept over. Not a surprise about CWLP security , after 9/11 ALOT of things have changed. The spillway was wide open this morning as I drove by...have seen a few boaters - figured they went up the creek. I would imagine it would be fun crossing the interstate and hiking...if I get time I might give it a try too!

5. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    they go under the interstate, there are 2 large tunnels, feet get lil wet, u will see the trails wore down, most people park behind red lobster, went up today and damn's only 1/4 way open, creek dropped 5' since last night, caught few nice white bass no cats, used shad, live bluegill, shrimp, full of asian carp, i fish a big 5acre pond that this creek feeds im hopin it just got restocked, it was drainig into the creek seems to be better when damn's open couple days then they shut it completly creek will drop 10' in a hour fish get trapped, since its partially open pond is slowly dropping into the creek.sangamon's only dropped bout 2'

6. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the info - often wondered about the easiest way to get in there...with all the rain we had and am looking to get...I'l be giving it a try