Sugar Bowl LSU vs Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Ersel's Gridiron Talk' started by dahoss2002, Dec 28, 2006.

1. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Tigers 10 point favorites and really should win by more but my Tigers like to make it dramatic. A 28 point win would be nice but I will settle for a 7-6 victory. Geaux Tigers!! Please no "Luck of the Irish"!! I know ND is due to win a Bowl game but please put it off till next year!!!

2. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    go tigers:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I hope ND plays the best that they can... they'll still be losers though.

4. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Notre dame shouldnt even get a shot at the bcs game. "we played 2 of the toughest teams this year" yeah but you lost by huge margins both times and when you only play two tough teams all year you better beat one of them if you wanna talk about strength of schedule.

5. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    This is a game a want to see. When is it?

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    No respect AT ALL in these threads for ND............just how I like it!:big_smile:

I could go on and on about the media favortism for ND and how they've pushed aside much more deserving teams over the years during bowling season....but I'll just say ----GO LSU!!!!

(And Go Hokies!)

7. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Geaux Tiggers !!!

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The only thing I would request of the LSU fans is to at least show some manners. Cut the drunks getting in a person's face and yelling "tiger bait". Heck, send the drunks home or to jail. A good program should not be slandered due to their fans.

9. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I think it was 1997, but I know it was the coldest Saturday I ever spent in Baton Rouge. We were "Tiger Baiting " the heck outta all the Notre Dame fans till they sprung a big lead and the stadium emptied at halftime. I wore short sleeves lol! We got a rematch in the Independence Bowl a month later and won by an identical score! Last thing I remember from Baton Rouge was that
    damn leprechaun mascot runnin round LOL!!

10. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Go Irish, I hope Brady finds Jeff in the endzone about 10 times. LOL.

11. MrsBuck8Point

MrsBuck8Point New Member

State:
    Plaquemine, La
    You gotta love it!! January 3rd 7 p.m. my husband and I will be in the dome. Can't wait to be in the city. We'll be drinking "Tiger Piss", homemade wine :big_smile:

New Orleans really can use a boost like this. Come on down and visit.

Geaux Tigers!!

MrsBuck8Point formerly LaFishingGal

12. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Both lines for Notre Dame have to play their best game of the season, and ND has to avoid giving up points early. The Sugar bowl has been good for ND so, we will see. Go Irish!

13. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Way to GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    "One more year! One more year!" they screamed.

The way the mammoth quarterback played against Notre Dame, there seems little reason for him to spend any more time in college.

Russell thoroughly outperformed Brady Quinn and sent Notre Dame to another postseason meltdown, leading No. 4 LSU to a 41-14 rout of college football's most storied program Wednesday night.

The Sugar Bowl returned to New Orleans with a Cajun-style party, which left the 11th-ranked Fighting Irish with a most unwanted spot in the record book. They lost their ninth straight bowl game, more than any other school.

"I just think," LSU coach Les Miles said, "I've got the best quarterback in the country."

Certainly he had the best on this night. The 6-foot-6, 257-pound Russell completed 21 of 34 passes for 332 yards and two touchdowns. He also had his first rushing score of the season and set up another TD with a 31-yard pass.

Russell and LSU's feared defense took control after halftime, turning a tenuous 21-14 game into a laugher. The Tigers (11-2) outgained Notre Dame by a staggering 333 yards to 30 over the final two quarters.

After a brilliant junior season, Russell hasn't decided whether he will return to LSU (11-2) for his senior year. But he would likely be one of the top quarterbacks taken in the draft.

"I really do think I'm one of the best in college football," Russell said. "You can't take that opinion away from me."

And what about the NFL?

"I'm not really thinking about leaving early right now," Russell insisted. "I've got a lot of time to sit down with my family and coaches and talk about that. I'm just happy we got the victory."

The school of Touchdown Jesus and Knute Rockne snapped a tie with South Carolina and West Virginia for most consecutive bowl losses in NCAA history. And this was like most of the others, a double-digit blowout that showed Notre Dame still has work to do if it wants to compete with the nation's best.

"We've got to turn the corner," coach Charlie Weis said. "Right now, we're just a nice, solid team. That won't cut it. We want to be an upper-echelon team."

Quinn doesn't have a decision to make about his pro future, but the senior's hopes of being the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft may have taken a blow. He struggled to cope with the speed and size of LSU's defense, completing just 15-of-35 for 148 yards, his two TD passes offset by two interceptions.

"They took it from us in the third quarter," Quinn said. "I'm proud of my guys. ... We laid the groundwork for these guys to do great things in the future."

LSU romped after halftime. After a pair of field goals by Colt David, Russell blew it open with a 58-yard touchdown pass to Brandon LaFell in the final minute of the third quarter.

Notre Dame (10-3) bounced back from an early 14-0 deficit and tied the game with 2 1/2 minutes left in the first half. But Russell's took matters in his own hands - and legs - to put the Tigers ahead to stay before the teams went to the locker room.

First, Russell went deep to Early Doucet for a 58-yard completion. Then, Russell scored himself on a 5-yard keeper up the middle.

Russell said his matchup with Quinn wasn't personal.

"My main thing was to play a good game against Brady Quinn's defense," Russell said. "I wasn't playing against him."

Notre Dame hasn't won a postseason game since its 24-21 victory over Texas A&M in the 1994 Cotton Bowl. "O-ver-ra-ted!" the Tiger-dominated crowd roared after freshman Keiland Williams ripped off his second touchdown of the game, a 20-yard run with just under 7 1/2 minutes remaining.

But the biggest cheers came on LSU's next possession. Russell made one handoff, then came out of the game to standing ovation.

Notre Dame was determined to get off to a strong start, but it sure didn't work out that way. Weis called a fake punt that backfired, and the Irish looked just as tight and nervous as they did at the beginning of blowout losses to Michigan and Southern Cal.

At least they didn't fold until the second half, fighting back to tie the game at 14.

The offenses had their way, with three 80-yard scoring drives and another covering 82. The only exception followed the fake punt on Notre Dame's opening possession. With the Irish facing fourth-and-3 at their own 34, the coach called for a direct snap to up-back Travis Thomas, but he was stuffed for no gain.

Two plays later, LSU had the lead. Russell hooked up with Doucet on a 31-yard pass and Williams powered over from the 3.

The Tigers made it 14-0 on their next possession. Russell broke off a 21-yard run on a draw to get deep into Notre Dame territory, and finished off the drive with an 11-yard scoring pass to Dwayne Bowe.

Notre Dame's next possession started ominously - Quinn was sacked for a 10-yard loss. But Darius Walker ran for 11 yards and turned a short pass into a 21-yard gain. Quinn finished it off with 24-yard TD pass to David Grimes.

Walker rushed for all but 3 of his 128 yards in the first half.

David missed a 31-yard field goal try, and Notre Dame responded to that momentum-changer with the tying touchdown as Quinn went to his favorite receiver, Jeff Samardzija, on a 10-yard TD pass.

The game marked another step in New Orleans' rebuilding effort from Hurricane Katrina. The Sugar Bowl was played last year in Atlanta because of massive damage to the Superdome, but a $185 million renovation got the stadium up and running in late September.

Thousands of Notre Dame and LSU fans descended on the Big Easy, which still has areas that look like a war zone from the flooding caused by Katrina more than 16 months ago.

But Bourbon Street sure was hoppin' with purple and gold.
    One more time: GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Notre Dame played pathetic football. Brady Quinn played like a late round draft pick. He is not the best in the nation. I really thought he would play better than what he did. It really is upsetting to see Notre Dame continue to lose like they do. Quinn should not be drafted in the first round for sure. I have to give it to Russell he definetly showed more poise and talent than Quinn. Walker is the only player that played good for Notre Dame. I hope Clausen can develop into a better QB than Quinn.:angry:

16. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I think "Heisman winner" Troy Smith would have something to say about LSU having the best QB in the Nation.

Go Bucks!!!

17. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well if ND played in some second tier bowl that they actually earned a spot in instead of stealing a BCS berth from a more deserving team they might actually win one. They should not have been ranked high enough to be in the BCS with the only 2 good opponents on their schedule giving them blowout losses. Notre Dame would have been more at home in the Texas Bowl but for whatever reason they were given the chance (once again) to prove that they were completely overrated.

18. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Probaly true but at least Notre Dame can beat Penn State.LOL

19. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS---An event you will not want to miss next year is the 'BAMA vs. LSU matchup----It "ain't" gonna be pretty.....

Need : 2-tickets

20. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    ND is a joke. There likely a highly polished politician that has a great face and the gift of gab.