Suffix braid

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by jcat, Jan 25, 2008.

1. jcat

jcat New Member

State:
    IL
    I am reading quite a few sources that feel this is the best braid out there. I have been using power pro and it seems great to me. Who has experience with the suffix brand???? Do you see any reason why I should consider switching? Thanks

2. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    if you like power pro you'll love suffix! it has 6 strands compared to power pro's 4 so it makes a tighter weave for better casting and abrasion resistance.

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I haven't tried Suffix, but I get a kick out of their add:

"Other braids claim to be able to pull a fish out of thick cover, Performance Braid has the strength to haul in the brush pile as well."

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    That's a pretty good one!:smile2:

I'll have to look for some and check it out.

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mark
    Do you have an opinion on Suffix braid in regard to using casting reels. I bank fish with 6500 and 7000 Pro Rockets and 12' rods. I would love to find a braid that will cast smooth and not tangle during the cast. I tried #50 spider wire with little success and was thinking about going to #65 or #80 power pro. I would like your opinion. Thanks

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've used Suffix 30lb braid, but only for bass. It's a great line, it casts very well and you can really horse a fish in with it.

7. Rob S

Rob S New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I primarily watch saltwater fishing shows, and Larry Dahlberg likes it, although I'm sure he does because he doesn't have to pay for it. I guess if I were paying 24-25 bucks for 300yds of line, I wouldn't mind paying 5 more dollars and get Sufix.

8. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i have used 50 lb suffix(love it) and 65lb power pro and they both cast great what kind of distance are you looking for?

i posted this a couple of weeks ago and it might help you out.

Here are a few pointers for using braided line. Before you spool your reel to prevent slipping place 20-30 yds of mono on first. Next find a big open area and tie the braid to a stationary object. Next unroll your line and tie other end of the braid to the mono on your reel a great knot for this is a uni to uni. Braid doesn’t cinch like mono so it’s best to double the number of wraps so if you use a 6 turn uni use a 12 turn uni for your braid.
    Reel the braid into the reel under tension. This serves two purposes, first it packs the line on and eliminates loose coils. Loose coils are acceptable with mono because its cheap and easily replaceable, but spend 30 dollars for 300yds of braid and you want to hang onto every yard of it. The other purpose of packing the line on this way is if you look down and see that your reel is going to under filled you can simply back up add more mono and start to fill the reel until you get the desired results.

Now to increase your braid’s strength tie on a top shot of mono so if your reel is filled with 50lb braid tie on a top shot of 50lb mono, however for this connection tie an overhand knot in the mono, pass the braid through the knot, then tie a 12 turn uni knot with your braid, and tighten both knots and you’re set. To keep your line from blowing up use pyramid sinkers or anything else that will put tension on your line as you reel it in. hope this helps.

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    no reason to change you cant beat POWER PRO its good stuff !!! :wink:

10. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I use both power pro and suffix braid, you can't really go wrong with either. The suffix is definitely smoother on the rod! Over here suffix cost a little more. Both great fishing lines. Good luck!:cool2: