Sufficient motor for river?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by CargoJon, May 15, 2018.

1. CargoJon

CargoJon Member

State:
    PA
    Name:
    Jon
    Hey all,

I have a 12' fiberglass jon boat I'll be using on various bodies of water, mostly smaller lakes. Right now it's just got a trolling motor on it which is fine for what I've been using it for.

I want to take it out on a few local rivers for catties. Not the Mississippi or anything, but I want to see what if any HP motor I'll need to get in order to make sure I dont' get myself stuck downstream unable to get back to the trailer/car.

What's the right way to go about this?

TIA

prlwng and Catpaw like this.
  2. Khh27

Khh27 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Kyle harlan
    What's the sticker on your boat rated for couldnt image more than 10 or 15hp

3. CargoJon

CargoJon Member

State:
    PA
    Name:
    Jon
    It’s not so much that I’m worried about over doing it, what I want to figure out is what’s the minimum I can put on it and stil reasonably expect to move upstream

4. BBK

BBK Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    I would say an 8 or 9.9 would be what you want. 8’s are typically 1cyl and much lighter. Put a big prop on it and you’ll have the torque to move up stream.

prlwng likes this.
  5. Khh27

Khh27 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Kyle harlan
    Yea 8-10hp range. Be careful on rocky rivers with that fiberglass hull

prlwng and CargoJon like this.
  6. CargoJon

CargoJon Member

State:
    PA
    Name:
    Jon
    Thanks guys. In that case I’ll forget anything smaller than a 7.5 and try to stick to better than that.
    Future plans call for an aluminum 14-16 footer and retire the little one to the camp lake but gotta make the best of what I have for the time being

7. brocat

brocat Member

State:
    Quincy, IL
    Name:
    Bruce
    Just be careful when heading out on a river. The current can be unforgiving, and the wake from other boats can cause problems very quick as well. I don't know your experience level, but if you haven't been on a river before, it might be a good idea to take a ride with an experienced river boater first. If you have, then good luck and catch a boat-load!

prlwng likes this.
  8. JByrd

JByrd Active Member

State:
    S.C.
    Name:
    Thomas D Price
    And definitely look out for under water object and running in shallow water, can ruin a prop quickly.

9. CargoJon

CargoJon Member

State:
    PA
    Name:
    Jon
    The good news is this river is particularly slow from a current standpoint....

10. hillman

hillman Active Member

State:
    MO.
    I had a 12 foot for years, ran about a 5HP on it and did fine. My problem is I couldn't stand up in it and really needed one that I could.

Right now wanting a 16/48 just a matter of talking my wife into this.

hillman

CargoJon likes this.