Sudden drop in surface temp.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Mac-b, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    What affect if any does the sudden drop in temp., say from days of sixty degree weather to the low thirties of twenties, the next day or several days later of continued low temp's. have on the catfish bite? Is it better after two or three days of low temp. or worst? I know it doesn't affect the striper or white perch, but I beleive it does as it relates to cats. The world famous Capt. Darryl says that a half degree change will make cats move. What do you'll think?

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    mac i think the drop in temps will help the fishing because the colder weather means your power bill will go up which means more power need to be made and that equals current. currnet is what gets them big blues moving in these lakes or at least it gets them in predictable locations. now we just need plenty of rain for a little flood gate action too.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    LOL!!!!!

:lol:

Catfishrus, I have never heard that theory before in my life...BUT I LIKE IT!!

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    wylie you must own the power company.....lol.

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Catfishrus, good buddy, they can make all the power in the world on Lake Norman and we would never see a major current flow. True, you can go way up river close to the I-40 bridge in the shallows and see movement in the flow but, from Marker 25 on down (25 miles) to the Cowans Ford Dam you would never see it. That is why most of us catters on LKN fish creeks and not the main channel. Would love it if we had the current of Badin, Mtn. Island and other lakes which enjoy a flow when the dams are open or they are making power. This lack of water flow is probably one of the reasons we have fish kills every now and then during the summer months. PS, when you next hear about a fish kill on LKN give me a PM and I will tell you where to fish on LKN during this period. In 2005, when we had a major striper/shad kill we did a number on the cats. We were catching suspended fish at 30 to 40 feet in 100+ feet of water. With four rigs out we would have two or three pole benders at same time. The fish varied as to weigh, but 20 to 40 pounders were not uncommon. Last time this occurred it lasted three weeks. I wore out some good bass and striper fishermen taking them to the fish kill spots. Four hours of action was all they could take. This doesn't happen often, which is a good thing, but it is something else when it does! I release all cats over 10 pounds and only keep what we need for tablefare. On LKN it is advised that we only eat 1/2 pound of cats per week per person and a health warning is in force not to eat bass at all.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I don't own it, but I do own a lot of stock in Duke Energy!! :lol:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    When temp drop here, it seems the fish goes real deep. I cant seem to find them. maybe when temp picks up, they will start biting again.

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    mac you might not see it but its there and i bet them fish know its there too. there is a big differnence in current from lake to lake though. badin dont get the good currnet down river either because of the water depths. tillery has good flow of current from one end to the other. its more of a controled river to me. i love to fish in the cold weather. suppose to get down to 24 saturday morning and i will be on the water a hour before daylight just so as i dont miss any of it. just throw your cast net out and pull up fresh frozen bait. really i been looking forward to it. now which lake?

just ask tomahawk and he will tell its trophy time