Suckers

Discussion in 'Northern Pike Fishing' started by Rainman4u2, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

While in Northern Minnesota this last week, I learned a new way to catch pike. We set up slip bobbers from 3-6ft above a 1/0 bait holder hook. We attatched the suckers(4-6inches in length) to the hook through the middle below the dorsal fin. We were tossing the rig at the edge of bullrushes, or at the outside edge of weedbeds. We lost numerous suckers to quick strikes, but in the end it did produce 4 keeper pike.

Ray

2. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

i have taken many trips to canada for northern pike,they are one of the
    most agressive fish i have ever seen,my reason for saying this is i have
    seen them come out of the water and take a black bird off of a low hanging
    tree limb.they are just plain MEAN.i belive if they will do that,make them
    mad enough and they will hit most any thing you can throw at them. :D

3. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Capt Kirk is right....Pike are mean and they will hit anything. Live bait works great, but if ya dont have any, try using anything that spins, rattles, or can just plainly get their attention.

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Pike hit anything that moves.
    Ive seen them slup up ducklings before. T
    The strangest thing I think I've seen......... I hooked about a 12 inch walley while wading in about 2foot of water on the Mississippi river below lock and dam #1. as I got the walley about 2 feet from me this 4lb pike SMASHED IT!!! sprayed water and scared the dickens out of me. I fell over backwards in the drink while this pike was speeding off with my walley. I start fighting it. and I managed to get it in. The hook never set in the pike but when it hit the walley its dorsal fins stuck,lodged in the roof of its mouth. It was a bonus catch 2 for 1 and bath to boot.

5. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    There is a place up in northern MN that we go to once a year and fish big pike. The lake we go to is a lake with no public access, and is a very well kept secret, and it doesnt get fished very often. We fish this lake strictly with live bait. We fish almost exactly as you described above. We have always had great luck....the funny thing, we have NEVER caught a pike on artificial bait :)

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    That method is REALLY good when the pike have already come out of the rivers back to big water after the sucker run but before the water warms up enough to get them on mepps or spinners or surface lures. Especially when it is too cold to properly use a rapala at slow speeds. Times when the water hasnt hit 65 yet. Thats when the live bait method REALLY works for big guys.

I do like my pike and musky fishing!

Sal