suckers

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by eaglesfan00000, Sep 22, 2005.

1. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've been fishing the creeks and down here it's shallow, and you can see stripped sucker fish swiming around. I've tryed corn, and worms and they don't do anything. I was useing a bobber, maybe I should try a split shot with a little worm huh. Another thing is I seen its sucker lips and it looks like it would shollow the hook. Thanks for any help.

2. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I would try wax worms or the bright colored crappie nuggets. Works for me. Just throw a cast net if all fails...lol

3. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Worms and Crawlers work wonders on suckers up here in MN. When I fish for smallmouth bass in in the smaller rivers. I catch suckers at a 3-1 up to 5-1 ratio. It can get irritating at times
    Give it a shot

4. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I agree with Larry, A small piece of crawler with an ice fly for a hook and you can't go wrong!

5. CptAhab

CptAhab New Member

State:
    Manitoba, CAN
    Nuthinlikeacat, try using a slip rig but with a 2/0 baitholder and part of a crawler, maybe a 1/3 or 1/4 of one.
    If your can hook into them they make great cutbait for channels, and we use them whole when we're going through the ice for pike.
    Most of the time when its come to catching them we dipnet for them; they run in the spring coming out of the big lakes into all the feeder creeks and ditches. One of my best fishing memories is as a kid chasing a school of them out of one of the creeks and into a cattle pasture. You couldn't see them in the grass but when you got close to them they would take off and raise a little rooster tail like a ski boat opening the throttle. We ended up chucking the nets and just running like mad jumping on and chasing and tackling the little buggers. I think we had a 45 gal. drum full by the time that the day was done and all of us kids were soaked to the skin and probably had mild hypothermia, but it was worth it!

6. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I get pretty good result just using a bit of crawler with a small hook and a split shot.

7. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    try a doughball of some sort you could be looking at little carp

8. festus

festus New Member

Try a size #6 baitholder hook, as little weight as possible and light line. Just cover your hook, suckers have small mouths and don't particularly like big baits. Redworms, pieces of nightcrawlers, crickets, waxworms, breadballs, and crawdad tail meat are good choices. Late winter/early spring they seem to bite better, at times these seasons they will bite all day. Other times of year they're sometimes difficult to catch. I've found out they're really hard to catch when you can see them. Sometimes it's best to wait until the water is a little muddy. But very early morning-before daylight-and just after dark are good fishing times.

I used to fish for these at a creek behind my grandparents. I've never caught one out of an impounded reservoir, always creeks and rivers. I got one once that was at least 30" long, but they're usually smaller, 10" to 16".

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Use a castnet! I don't have the patience to catch them one at a time.

If you don't have a castnet, force feed them with a treble hook.

10. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    As you can see, in the state of Pa. cast nets are only LEGAL in 4 bodies of water and not for suckers. Snagging is also illegal in the state of Pa.
    http://www.fishandboat.com/rulemakings/notices/06_04_10castnets.htm

11. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Around here they love meal worms. Use a small hook 8 or 10. Some of the bigger ones I have caught on a mister twister grubb and the smallest jig head I can find.