suckers

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by brddgg21, Mar 5, 2009.

1. brddgg21

brddgg21 New Member

State:
    scottsville,virginia
    has anyone ever been sucker fishing? my dad took me once when i was little probably 20 years or so ago. had the time of my life but we never did go back and do it again. i was wondering if anyone knew the best time to go and what some good baits are. all i remember is using ceder poles and fishing where a creek and river comes together when the rivers up and muddy. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Hey, who you callin' a sucker?!? :tounge_out::smile2:

I used to go sucker fishing all the time when I was growing up in Pennsylvania. The local steams would be loaded with them during the spring spawning run. Garden worms were the bait of choice on a number 6 hook. We would use a 1/2 oz bank sinker on the bottom and two or three droppers up the line. Fished in the slack water of a fast moving stream it was a deadly technique. Mid-March was prime time.

3. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I used to catch a ton of suckers in the creek when I was a kid, most of them with in a mile of where the creek dumped into the river. I always used red worms and crawlers.

4. brddgg21

brddgg21 New Member

State:
    scottsville,virginia
    thats what i was thinking is that now was about the time went. we just got snow here this week and its melting pretty good so im thinking the water should be getting up. might have to try and catch me a few. :smile2: thanks for yalls help

5. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    They were so thick you could just grab them by hand. Millions of them.

6. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Let us know how you do...that brings back lots of great memories.

7. brddgg21

brddgg21 New Member

State:
    scottsville,virginia
    will do. my plan is to try and go monday or tuesday. have to work all weekend :sad2: