Suckers for Flathead catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Fishermancat1, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Fishermancat1

Fishermancat1 Member

State:
    Cobb Co. Georgia
    Where do you buy these at? Do bait stores sell these? I want to start using these for bait. Thanks:canny:

2. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    i'm from Illinois and every bait shop in the area carries suckers. You can buy them in a variety of sizes, S, M, L, or XL. Using Bluegill for bait is illegal in Illinois so suckers are predominantly used for flatheads as well as northern. The best way to hook them is through the lip, this keeps them alive longer. Suckers are known to have a short life span on a hook as well as in a minnow bucket. if you do start to buy suckers i suggest getting an airator for your minnow bucket to keep them alive longer. where i'm from the bigger suckers aren't cheap so this will save you some money. good luck

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I get them with a cast net. In PA. it's legal to use bluegills so I stick to that.
    Suckers are great bait if you can get them. I just can't figure how to get them on rod and reel.

4. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Im a sucker for flatheads. Theres one bait shop here in Ky where I can get them. Up north they sell them everywhere I think they troll for Muskies with them.

5. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    yea, muskies and pike. you can find suckers in every bait shop around in the chicagoland area.

6. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    are suckers the bluish carp lookin things?

7. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Suckers work. Bait shops typically sell white suckers.

Much better than bait shop suckers are wild suckers but you'll obviously have to catch them yourself. Smaller 8-12" wild redhorse or white suckers aren't too bad of a bait.

But like mentioned earlier, they don't live as long as some other baits on the hook and they can be very temperamental in the bait tank. Keep the water cool and well oxygenated.

When the water temps are warmer, there are much better baits that stay lively such as bluegills and bullheads. We can't use bluegills in Minnesota so we primarily stick to bullheads.

8. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    they have them at a bunch of bait shops and you can catch them on worms with small hooks but they bite really lightly so pay attention

9. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I use ice fishing bobbers (or small cork) and a small size 12 hook. Small streams around here are good. Try putting some dog food in a minnow trap, or using a seine. If you freeze 1 liter pop bottles with water and put them in your bucket it will keep you bait alive alot longer. Works for everything, because cold water holds more oxygen the warm water.

10. moosman66

moosman66 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Chubs are a good choice of bait in some areas where bluegil are illegal, but they are so hard to keep alive and they die quikly while in captivity. I would recomend using goldfish or jumbo minnows which are a little more easy to come by if you don't catch your own bait gold fish stay alive longer than any bait that i fish.
    Good luck