Suckers for bait

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by barbel, Jun 7, 2006.

1. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I have a creek that runs by my house that has suckers in it. I know this because I have caught big ones (12 - 14 inches) on my catting equipment and on worms. Now, I want to know how to catch the smaller ones because I hear they are good flathead bait. What should I use to do this with? What size and type of hook, or trap, or what? Thanks for any information in advance :big_smile:

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I catch all my suckers in a creek with my cast net, you can get one at walmart for about 15 bucks.. I catch suckers, shiners and chubbs...about 4 to 8 inches long..Perfect Flathead bait

3. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    are there Flatties where you fish? if so use the 12-14 inch suckers.... you'll be in for a BIG fish if that line gets hit... Ummm but to catch the smaller ones i'd go and get the largest seine legal in your area and go run it through a hole or 2 with a buddy... could also (if legal) make a little sucker trotline... size 6 hooks w/ worms baited close to the bottom in a fairly deep hole... wouldn't have to use extremely heavy mainline either cause they don't get that big or pull that hard... another option is to use a minnow trap w/ worms in a little stocking tied off for bait along with crackers and some liver in the trap