SUCKERS!!! 4 bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by creek_fisher88, Sep 5, 2006.

1. creek_fisher88

creek_fisher88 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I know a great place to cast net some suckers, and i mean a lot of them. i was just wondering what you guys thought about using them for bait. are they a good flathead bait? what size should i use them. dead (cut or whole), or alive. also how should i hook them. thanks creek

2. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    They are very good bait. I like them anywhere from 6 to 12 inches long depending on how big a flattie your are fishing for. I hook them behind the dorsal fin with at least a 8.0 circle hook, depending on how big the bait is. I have never used them for anything but Flatheads. so I do my best to keep them alive. Good Luck.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    For flatheads, i like to use the 4 to 8 inch suckers.

They are a real good bait.

Alive is the best.

Guys up north also use them for pike and musky.

4. creek_fisher88

State:
    Indiana
    thanks. have you caught anything else off of them

5. MNwiskers21

MNwiskers21 New Member

State:
    South Saint Paul, MN
    Hello Creek Fisher88,

Suckers are an all around great bait for many different species of fish and flatheads love em. I live in Minnesota and use suckers rangeing in size from 6 to 12inches for flatties, always use them alive. I also use large suckers 10inches to 16inches a lot in the fall for monster pike and muskies, I almost always use them alive when fishing for pike and muskies but will occasionally knock then on the side of the boat to stun them so they swim funny. I also use smaller suckers 6inches or less in the spring for walleye. I also use dead suckers for channel cats all year round.

Take Care Everyone!

Sincerly, Kevin
    Your Fellow Fisherman

6. creek_fisher88

State:
    Indiana
    thanks for the info kevin. i really want to go fishing. i havent been in a week. but now i just cant wait cuz i can get a lot of suckers

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught flatheads on live suckers, and fresh cut suckers..I would use anysize the bigger the better.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Jack I was at Dillon Dam Sat and caught about a 8-12in sucker and a Drum about the same size. Should I have used them whole? I cut the sucker up and used the head on one pole and about a 1inc chunk on the other but no bites. I moved down the spillway and was using live gills and caught a 3.5lbr channel

9. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I have caught some nice flatheads with live suckers , and chubbs

10. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    We use em' up here for Pike and Muskies. live or cut.

11. creek_fisher88

State:
    Indiana
    thanks for all the info guys.