sucker run

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by DLB-in-GR, Mar 23, 2009.

1. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I'll be watching local fishing reports, but if anybody around West Michigan hears when the suckers start to run, and where, could you post a reply? I haven't been out sucker fishing in 15 years; I seem to remember them being good around the 2nd or 3rd week of April at the covered bridge on the Flat River in Lowell. I was planning a trip up to Bay City to the Kawkawlin River to my buddy's new house right on the river, but that's out because I found out that the river is closed to fishing right then for the walleye spawn. Any advice would be appreciated. I've got the Spring Fever and am looking forward to getting a line wet. Those suckers were good smoked and I'd like to try freezing chunks to use for cut bait later in the summer when it gets scarce for me to find.

2. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Wen't through omer on sunday they were starting to pick some. Water level was ok but it was cold and watch the rain.

3. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    I'm going to Omer tomorrow. I'll let you know how I do.

4. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    How was the trip to Omer, if you don't mind my asking? I see the DNR fishing report says that there are a few suckers being caught on the Grand at Lansing, and in the Red Cedar River (not sure where that is) so I am going to try to make it out to the Flat River maybe later this week, if weather permits. I still need to get my new line on my reels and tie up a few rigs.

On the subject of rigs, what sort of rigging do you use? I was successful years ago when I put a weight at the bottom of the line, with two hooks tied directly to the line up higher baited with half a crawler each, and a weight at the top, but I don't know if that is an illegal snagging rig according to the rules. I think I need to use droppers, but I want to keep the bait on the bottom in the current. Any suggestions? I am not much of a river angler and could use some pointers. I had to tie 10 of those rigs ahead of time because I was always snagging and breaking off, losing the whole contraption.

Thanks, and good luck,
    Doug