Sucker Fishing - Whats the best time?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by beaneye46, Jan 25, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    does anyone do any sucker fishing, and whats the best time

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    What kind of sucker are you trying to target? White sucker, redhorse, yellow sucker, hogsucker, yellowfin or the larger species like carp and buffalo? Personally, here in Ky I do well fishing small rivers and large creeks in late March and early April. Anytime the water is muddy you can catch them on redworms. Also if you keep an eye on the good riffles you can often catch them on redworms by throwing in their nest as the spawn. Are you looking to catch them for sport, to eat, or use them for bait? If I have read the Indiana Regulations right the redhorse is considered an endangered species there. Vern

3. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i don't know what kind of suckers ive caught. the biggest one was about two pounds. and i like to eat them. when cooked right, theyre some of the best fish ive ever eaten. what i usually do is fish the creeks which branch off the river with red worms. ive heard that sponges work real well for bait, have you heard of that?

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Cody, no I haven't heard of the sponges. White suckers, redhorse, and yellowfin are all good table fare. The white is just as said a fairly plain white sucker without any distinguishing marks. The redhorse looks the same except it has red fins and tail. The yellowfin is bluish colored and has fins and tail tipped with yellow or white marks. Also the common buffalo makes for good table fare as long as you watch out for bones. Vern

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    carefull baitfish i think that is ilegal now.

the best way i know to catch suckers is worms. we go down where the creek meets the river and catch n release garbage cans full! the best time is early spring when they make spawning runs up creeks. these are redhorse suckers up to about 10#s.

6. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    If you have access to a boat and the right lighting try gigging right now if you can find some cold clear water that is legal to gig in!! Just got a bunch last week in the Tippecanoe river. Kind of cloudy right now but it is still a lot of fun!!!

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thanks baitfish,i learned something too, it does sound fun at that.