Sucker Fishing in Michigan?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Sparky Larson, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    OK,
    I know this is not the site to talk about sucker fishing, but this morning, I had a ball! I caught 30 suckers and two nice walleye (walleye were release due to season being closed) in two hours. I was fishing at Omer, and they have been catching them for the past 8 days, but they said this has been the best day so far. They can't even drop their net til the first of April. I'll be smoking fish tomorrow!
    Don, have you been perch fishing yet? I'm still thinking about Saturday morning with Vic. What do you think?
    Sparky

2. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Sparky heading out this morning to do some perch fishing took the fish cam up to the bay yesterday and put it over the side of some bridges and there are some perch in there give a report when i get back. Saterday is fine with me where we going?

3. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Anywhere we can catch some perch and a potential cat or two:) Look forward to seeing you again Don...

4. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Wait a minute! Is that actually a fish I see in Vics profile??:rolleyes:

5. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi

6. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Don,
    Where on the Bay were you?
    I'll try to contact you sometime today.
    Sparky

7. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

This is the first time that I've read this thread since my great fishing trip to visit Sparky at his home in Marlette, Michigan. Do you feel a fish story coming on? Of course you do, because we're talking about me here!!! LOL. Every new place I go to there is a fish story and a people one to boot, but before I start...

Yes Chuck, that is a true blue steelhead in my profile pic. Even I can catch fish when I put my mind to it.:p I am going to have to change that when I catch my flatheads this year though. Notice I said flatheads with an "S". LOL.

My trip started on Thursday morning around 2:45 when I was awaken from about three and a half hours of sleep to make the hour and a half drive to Marlette. I have never been to this part of Michigan, so I really had no idea what was in store, but I was really looking forward to the trip. However, it seems like my fishing trips can never begin without me being pulled over for some infraction at O dark thirty in the morning? Who has the wherewithal to write tickets in the middle of nowhere during these hours? LOL. This is the second time in a row that I've been pulled over going to a fishing trip, this time for speeding. I'm thinking to myself, "Man, I knew this was going to happen." This was the same thing that I expressed to the officer in the same manner as if he were handing me a million dollars instead of a ticket. For the speed he said I was going at he should have written me a ticket, BUT I handed him my license AND slipped him my military ID.;) That, with my engaging personality, and truckload of fishing gear won him over, and made me breath a sigh of relief. If you're reading this thanks again for letting me off the hook.

That was the only snag enroute as I arrived at Sparky's shortly after five. One thing I can say about Sparky, when he says he wants to leave at a certain time he is ready to go come hell or high water.(Sparky you would have been a hit in the military when it comes to meeting time hacks LOL) I pulled into his driveway, did a quick transferral of gear, and we were off to Omer, which was another hour or so drive. To tell the truth I didn't think much of the river we were going to fish when we crossed the overpass. It certainly isn't a catfish river with all the rapid current, and lack of depth, but it certainly was the type of river for what we were after and that was white suckers.

Sparky hit the river with a bang catching one fish after the other, and I was standing next to him catching nothing!!!LOL!!! Everybody on the river was catching fish except me, so I changed a couple of things in my technique
    and they started coming in left and right. It seems almost criminal that there isn't a limit for suckers because we caught about 100 of these fish just between the two of us...I have never seen anything like it in my life; talk about fun fishing! In the photos below you can see crates in the background. Those containers were loaded with fish, and it wasn't even ten o'clock in the morning yet! ROTFLOL! When I say they were being pulled in left and right that's exactly what I mean. What made it so great is the suckers are large enough to give you a battle in the heavy current that the Rifle River put out. I never thought I would get tired of fishing, but I was ready to quit about 10:30. We only fished for just under four hours tops, and it was time to call it. Actually, we could have called it an hour earlier and I wouldn't have been disappointed. That's how many fish we were catching.

I can't go without saying that Sparky caught three walleye that would have graced anybody's dinner table, but were released due to not being in season. If you ever get a chance to get to Omer at the end of March for the sucker run (I still can't believe I'm saying that LOL) you will not be wasting your money no matter where you come from in the state. As a matter of fact the bank was lined with people from all over, and I didn't get to see the peak crowds.

Now I know some of you are saying, "Why is there so much excitement over a trash fish?" Well, God never created anything that was trash, and until you've tasted smoked sucker right off the rack you don't know what you're talking about. This fish is delicious!!! We had smoked sucker on Friday, and Sparky gave me some canned sucker to take home with me. Trust me, it's not an acquired taste, but a taste that you should acquire if you smoke it. Ask Sparky for the ingredients if you're interested. If not, keep thinking of it as just bait. More for me I guess...;)

We fished for catfish on Friday with very limited success. Sparky caught a six pound cat, and a smaller one, but we mainly drank beer and chewed the fat.This was the second day that we were blessed with some great weather. Saturday morning was a different story though as we were blessed with some winds that made fishing conditions intolerable. The idea was to do some perch fishing, but the only thing we accomplished was getting me a new fishng license, and meeting up with Don (Hear Kitty). I was telling Sparky that the conditions were similar to when you make the decision to call off an airborne op when the winds are 13 knots. LOL. Why suffer when you don't have to? It was an easy call to make...

I have said this before, but if you get a chance to fish with Sparky you should definitely make that happen. It's never a dull moment, and he really enjoys fishing, which makes him the perfect fishing buddy for me. Honorable mention also goes out to Nancy(Sparky's wife) who's a great lady who made me feel very welcome in their home. I returned home Saturday afternoon with some great memories. What more is there to say? I had a blast, and look forward to doing it again...

Hats off to the Larsens,
    Vic

8. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Here are the photos:

Attached Files:

9. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Here are three more with the kid who showed me how it was done. You had to see this kid in person catching fish. LOL. He was reeling in fish, and looking back at me at the same time as if to say, "Dynamite comes in small packages too!" Great looking kid... Sparky when you create that rod holder for ninety degree configuration just name your price. You got yourself something there with just a tiny bit more aperture space for those of us with large foam handles. Let's do it again soon!!!

Attached Files:

10. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Vic,
    Great pics. and a great story. Man just can not have too much Fun!
    Just so you are aware, My last name is spelled with an "O", not an e. Come on man, I'm a Nor, not a Swede or a Dane. LOL It was a great time for the first trip of the year! (hopefully many more to come).

By the way Don, you are not paying me for those minnows! To me that is a small price to pay. If there is a guilt trip, It's on Vic and I for you hauling that boat up all that way, and never dunking it in the water.
    Sparky