Sucker Control

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by low desert jonathan, Dec 19, 2009.

1. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    Years ago I used to fish a creek in western NYstate for bass, trout etc. .The most annoying thing was always having my bait attacked by large suckers. It came to the point that we started killing every sucker we caught. The mistake we made was chucking them up on the bank behind where we fished. All the dead fish attracted the biggest rats that I have ever seen!! They were trained and seemed to be waiting for us every time we would fish this spot,they would have a feast. The suckers provided a source of food that was never wasted. The next time you catch a trash fish you don't have any use for there may always be some kind of weird use for them. Try to recycle them naturally,it's better than tossing them in the trash. :smile2::smile2: LDJ

2. Papa64

Papa64 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Suckers make a great catfish bait, cut them up and bait them up for cats. Anyways they the best bait I have found here in north central Illinois.

3. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I net some Red Horse suckers in the creek close to my house, they make great Catfish bait. When you use them fresh, they are tough and stay on the hook great, and have a good blood line in them.

4. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    Trash Bait Man i'm eating red hoss suckers for super tonight!

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Why is a sucker a trash fish?
    I would rather catch big suckers than bass or trout any day. I have no use at all for bass. Does that mean any time I catch one it's OK to throw it up on the bank for the critters:confused2:

I hate the term Trash Fish.

...W

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    keep em fillet chunk hook toss back out.

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    man we used to catch them on ultra lights all the time... they are fun to catch and any that are in the 8-16 inch or so range make great bait... i made a trap to catch them for bait a while back... over sized minnow trap, but effective...

8. festus

festus New Member

My grandpa used to eat suckers when he was growing up. He said they tasted as good as any other fish, but they were bony. I've noticed they like clean, cool creeks and rivers with plenty of current. They probably can't stand as much pollution or low oxygen levels like a carp can. Yeah, they make good bait cut or alive. And if you don't catch a catfish on one, you might just hook a big muskie.

9. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    You sure the giant rats weren't opossums? I was home from Ft. Knox back in '67 and had a friend from New Jersey with me. I had told him about the big rats we would shoot around the feed mills at night while we were on KP one time. Well, we were on the way home from a dance and had had a few "frosty libations", to say the least. Right in front of the feed mill about two blocks from my home a big ole 'possum ran across the road. I wish you could have seen the look on my friends face. His eyes were as big as the headlight on a '38 Plymouth. "Man you sure weren't chittin me were you! I have never seen rats that big in my life!" I would rather eat those suckers than any channel cat I have ever caught in the rivers here in Indiana.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  10. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    how large do those red horse suckers get

11. festus

festus New Member

About 32 inches long. The state record caught on rod and reel in Tennessee is 11 pounds.

12. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    boy i wish i had this problem. suckers are my favorite bait and i can never find enough of em!

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I've caught some 24 to 26"s long here in Ky. not sure but figure they get bigger than that. Have eaten some, and they are good food but bony. Git an uncle that would rather have them as fish that swims to eat.