Such a Deal- ya can't go wrong

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, May 3, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    New to your forum about a month. Have become addicted, and yet I am a little skeptical. I haven't even seen a fish as big as you guys take pictures of , let alone caught one. I think you guys have a bunch of stuffed fish you draw straws on and mail to each other for your next avatar picture. You probably are a conspiracy of bait dealers and used boat salesmen to entice us neophytes to spend money on vacations in the South. So heres the deal---

I live in the truly wonderful state of Iowa. Have 130 acres in the middle of an irregular "block" totaling 1400 acres. Corn ground, bean ground, limestone bluffs, hay ground, timber, running water and farm ponds. My acreage is 65 acres of timber and 65 acres of CRP ground going into it's 21st year. DNR aerial counts of 130 to 275 head of deer annually. We take 8 deer off here a year. Kill one by 7:00 A.M. first morning of 1st shotgun season, bleed and gut it by 7:15. Hang it in the barn by 8:30, skin it and cover it with cheesecloth by 9:30. Drink beer rest of day. I really like deer meat. Don't like deer that tastes like old goat or mutton, so I will pass up anything with horns. Like to take a nice 2-3 year old doe. I pick up sheds in the spring that would make you "horn" guys pee your pants. The does here make you Texas guys deer look like sheep. Had 40 deer eat over a 1,000 bucks worth of newly planted arborvitae this winter. When I moved here I grimaced every time I heard a fawn go through a haybine. Now it's music to my ears. Anyhow I digress.

If I could personally watch and document the actual catching and releasing of one of those Moby Dick type fish that I think are actually passed around stuffed 80 year old specimens, I will let you hunt my ground and guarantee you at least a good time. I can't shoot your deer for you and it's not my fault if you can't hit the broad side of a barn. If I come to the South you have to promise me I don't have to eat grits and okra. I won't make you eat my Itanitz (blood sausage) and guinea eggs for breakfast. McDonalds is OUT in both locations-I have to watch my heart diet. One thing that might put a damper in this whole proposal--I think out-of-state tags here are about $8,324.00 so if you gotta borrow money to come I can't help ya. Think it over-Thanks Postbeetle.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Wish I could help you out but I never have luck to catch monsters and no boat. If you ever pass by this way,look me up and I know of a few spots to bank fish the Ohio. Its never guaranteed to catch a big one but I know their in there! I never was much of a hunter,especially now,the ol' body won't allow it.
    Hope you get the chance to catch the fish of a lifetime!!! :cool2: :smile2:

3. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    John,

I've never meet you before but I think your my friend. I like you style!!!! I to have never hooked onto the "Big One" but I'm not giveing up. I even traveled to S.C. to fish Sanatee Cooper and Moltree and couldn't score!

My faimaly has land like yours here in Ohio so comeing to your house to harvest deer is unnessary. If I find the right places and become profishent at catching Bigens Your invited to tag along and run the camara. He!! you can even fish if you want!!!

"Big Eli"

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Quote "I think you guys have a bunch of stuffed fish you draw straws on and mail to each other for your next avatar picture. You probably are a conspiracy of bait dealers and used boat salesmen to entice us neophytes to spend money on vacations in the South".

I think we are busted...W

5. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    I'm still waitin for my turn to hold the stuffed fish,Oh darn I wasnt supposed to tell good luck huntin the big one

6. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I didn't get it in the mail til yesterday. Sorry...:wink:

I'm gonna start saving all of the spare $100 bills I have and make a huntin trip up there some day. I'm not sure that I could put you on a monster catfish but I could show you a monster of a good time! You should try to make one of the Memphis or Tunica gatherings here in the 'deep' south. Those Memphis guys catch lots of fish in the 40s and 30s. There are a few that have come from there that went 50 plus and a couple (that I know of) that went 70 plus. The replica....I mean fish....in my avatar came from the MS river in Memphis. I caught his little brother (54#) the year before that one. I fish Memphis whenever I get the chance but it isn't very often.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Now thats a generous offer. Theres a spot on the site where we have videos of some of our catches. Heres the link.

http://www.catfish1.com/1/catfishvideos.htm

I dont have a video on here yet but Im working on it. Welcome to the BOC!!!

8. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
  9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You sound like my kind of guy. I also envy your little slice of heaven there in Iowa, although you did not mention water much. I tend to shrivel up without running water (in the form of a wild river). I alos kind of like to have the salty water nearby. Lots of fish in there, too.

Anyway, I can not guarantee you a big fish, but they are swimming around in most all of the rivers that I like to visit here in coastal South Carolina. (I don't mess with the famous Santee Cooper lakes much. In my experience, any time something gets that famous, it's time to head elsewhere.) I'm not much of a hunter (used to pop a few squirrels for stew, but haven't even done that in years), so you can forget the swap, but you are welcome to share a boat and an evening on the river with me any time. If you think you might get down here some time, let me know and I'll shoot you my email or phone.

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member.

Great post, they are out there and we have video of em. Hope you can find some around your area. Alot of great info on here to help ya find em and catch em.

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    John, thanks for the interesting post. Sounds like you're set up very well.

You're not alone about not catching any big fish. I never have and don't even fish for them, IF I can catch a few crappie I'm happy. I come to this place cause I like the people. :big_smile:

And Welcome to BOC.

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Too many deer here, and not enough huge catfish to go around.:angry: But you can still come visit. I'll put you on some water where ANYTHING is possible. Bigguns are caught regularly, just not by me usually.

13. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Look real close... all those guys with the monster fish live in the same general area... and a couple of them are really sharp with photoshop...:lol:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    A budget is something we go without to stay within.

14. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Give me $200.00. I know the law well here-You can poach a 12 point drop-tine. Put it on the hood of your car and head South. They might pick you up for carrying a dangerous weapon on your car, but if you make it to where you are going think how many beer joints you can go to in a night to show your buddies that wonderful deer, and you've saved a hundred bucks. You've saved a hundred bucks and had a good time!

15. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    $100 may seem like a lot of money.....until you get caught hunting out of state! :sad2: I'm thinkin that if I'm gonna be huntin in the great state of Iowa, I'm gonna be legal!

Now, you say you have a 12 point drop tine with my name on it? Hmmmmmm

16. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    that's it, Jeb - they all took the same photoshop class, and they bought a 5lb blue from some old guy on the dock to use in their pics:lol:

17. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    well, you guys need to send me the giant stuffed fish lol

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I too have never caught a biggun John, but I have witnessed several taken and thats what keeps me trying , I know if I keep my hook in the water ...long enough ,they will bite lol.

19. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan

This is true this is true