Substitutes for masculinity:

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Nov 1, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We have been talking a little about "Hairs on chests" and such for a few days. Men have been known to substitute things for their lack of masculinity or as alternatives for ego trips. Perhaps I am in that category. I am a small man and I love big, well engineered machinery. I have been on and run a lot of them. Huge farm tractors, combines, large trucks, bulldozers, excavators. Something about crawling on those things makes up for my size. Some people use guns. Some people use boats. Some people use cars. While in Veterinary practice it was not uncommon to see this with male clients. Their substitutes for something they lacked was usually big mean dogs or other animals like that. Follows two short stories of them. Just a couple of many.

The Lion:
    One morning while in the exam room the receptionist sticks her head in and says a walk-in client wanted me to examine a lioness. Sure I said, as long as he has it under control and clear the exam room. I figured if I didn't know what was going on, I could send it to the Brookfield Zoo where I had some friends. I got organized and watched him get the lion out of the car. I about puked. This guy, a rough character swelled up when that lion got out of the car. He, looking around to see if anyone was impressed, led the lioness to the clinic.

In the exam room, I lost my temper. I do that pretty easily. This lion was muzzled, it had no canine teeth. All four had been removed. All four paws had been declawed. The man had one of those collapsible spiked collars that folded into the neck when he pulled on it. The leash was a chain. The lioness was swaybacked, thin, with clumps of her hair missing. She was old and grey muzzled. "I just can't get her to do much", he says.

Whoever had done that to that lion should have been hung out to dry. Veterinarians, for the most part are good people. There are some, as in every business who are in it for the buck or don't know how to say no when someone asks them to do this to animals. When I quit docking dogs tails and cropping ears in my practice, the manure hit the fan and I lost a number of clients, some big time breeders and new clients with their new puppies. I just didn't do it anymore.

I honestly felt sorry for that lion but I wasn't going to give this guy the satisfaction of doing something for him. I don't mince words when I am PO'd. I told him, as much as I could do for that lion I wasn't going to do anything for him. I told him to get out and see what someone down the road might do for him. I really felt bad for that lion.

Tomorrow I'll tell you a quick story about the Doberman who tore the throat out of a little girl.

Postbeetle

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    That's an interesting thought. I'm only 5ft. 5in and have always been fascinated by large machines. Perhaps subconsciously thats why i became a truck driver. Somebody once called me vertically challenged, which pretty much ticked me off. Gotta go---ill be back!!

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    John I am gonna nickname you the PROFESSOR....You have a tendancy to baffle us with b/s and dazzel us with brilliance.Sometimes you leave us stummped in our own thoughts or wanderin where you are commin from ....and sometimes we get you loud and clear with our feathers ruffled one way or the other.I have to wander if you dont have to much time on yer hands and it bothers me that your medication is better than mine but that is ok........REST ASSURED IF anyone NEEDS A OPION weather it be honest/blunt or them other so fine ones you throw we can all count on you.
    YOUR ALLRIGHT BRO(BOC-BRO THAT IS)
    I think I would of did the same thing to the lion queen there.I love my animals. Until next time :wink:

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    BY the way I think my compansation factor is fishin poles:confused2:

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Kenny: Thank you for your comments. I have known a lot of professors in my lifetime. FYI, lad as nice as it sounds, please don't lump me with those one dimensioned morons. I like to think of myself as a little more complicated.

Kenny I am going to write a story in "Ramblings" someday that I will dedicate to you. It will be called "The Truck". The Truck won't have anything to do with you. If I can find the picture I want you to look at the front of the truck and what is on it. Skulls and crossbones are your specialty. Look at the front of this truck, if I can get it on here, and tell me we don't take the same pills. Love ya Kenny. John.

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    :wink:I know we dont take the same pills that is what gets to me I think yours are better ,MORON your NOT complicated yes:eek:oooh::wink:

7. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Post.. Don't much matter what you write about and if I agree or even relate, but I sure enjoy the way you write it.

Look forward to everyone of your shares..
    Yea thats the tickets Love your sharing.:wink:

8. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    They wont let me drive big equipment anymore after the unfortunate incident with the loading dock wall:angry:

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I don't have a comment, maybe its because I have a pitbull in my pic. If I did write my comment it might be like "kicking that hive", LOL....

10. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I'm back---my sons truck broke down and i had to take him to work. I personally think it should be illegal to own a wild animal under any circumstances. I can relate to that lion, some days i too feel declawed, defanged and mangy. Mr. Postbeetle, your comment about being short brought back some old memories about growing up and always being the shortest male in school. Unlike you i have a difficult time putting my thoughts into words. I really dont know why that is, the words are there but its hard to organize them into something thats interesting and readable. I say that to say this, i think ill start a thread about what its like to grow up being a small man, or perhaps ill just put it in the ramblin thread. Isnt it interesting how a couple of words can make your mind explode with old thoughts and memories. Things that you havent thought about for decades. I wish i had the time to go on but gotta drag my ole butt off to work. Have a good day!! See ya on the flip flop.

11. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey beetle. i agree about what you said. these hotty totty rich boys with their flashy cars and $6000 suits are the worst. i am not the richest guy in the world, and i dont care if they are either. i am a big guy, i love big trucks and guns, and i dont feel that my masculinity is in any way shape or form "at a loss". i actually have an old beat up chevy suburban that rattles when its running, the hood lock is broken, the paint i all jacked up, but i love it. people ask me why dont i get rid of it when my wife drives the nice truck she has. i ask them "why would i do that. it still runs, it still drives, and its a diesel so i get great mileage." alot of the younger guys now that i kjnow buy the hopped up sports cars to try to impress the ladies. i try and tell them that once the ladies talk to them, they are going to realize that they are morons anyway and want nothing to do with them. it doesnt mmatter what kind of car you drive, what kind of animal you have, how big your muscles are, all that matters is how you treat other people. some of the best people i have ever known didnt have much, but would give you the shirt off of thier backs if you needed it. thats the way i try to be. if it is someone i trust and someone i know is not looking for a hand out, but really need something, i will help them as much as i can, even if it means money out of my own pocket. i hate people that think they are better than other people because they have money, because they are a diffrent race or have diffrent backgrounds, because they are in a gang or beacuse their views are diffrent than mine. alot of people think they can look down at me and cuss me because of what i do. when they do this i just smile at them and walk away, because i know that not one of them could do the job that i do. ok i am off of my soapbox now. anyway, Bettle, what i was trying to say is that i agree with you.

12. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i still cant fathom anybody wanting to own a lion... outside of the zoo anyway.

i wish i could relate to that compensation thing, but truthfully i am pretty content with myself. i could stand to gain a few pounds but i am allready married and shes not complainin, at least not to me.

just remember john, its not that you are gay (happy of course) its just that your cell mate is bigger than you.

good read. im ready for the doberman story, especially since my lil suzy-q bit me on the nose mon. its the first time shes ever bitten anyone in 4 years, and i knew instantly it was my fault. she actually looked like SHE felt 2 inches tall. she even shed a tear and then licked my nose where she had bit me.

13. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    All you lil short drinks have been a pain in the a$$ my whole life. Get ta know ya a lil bit, and come out with a lil tease, as guys will do; then end up with a banty rooster trying ta bite yer ankle. Audie Murphy was only 5' 3" & he killed more germans than Hitler. And a short boss? As they say in New York, FORGETABOUTIT! I went for an interview once, an just told the guy, I can't work for you, you are too short, which means you got a bad temperment. Ya need to put a sign out like one of the signs at the amusement park, "Can't be taller than this; to work here."
    :smile2:

14. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Boots, you are absolutely right. If I could put my nose back on like My Mother and Father gave it to me originally, I could be in the movies. You do know what the problem is don't ya, you biker Dude you? Did you ever butcher a banty rooster Boots? When you pull out the entrails most of what you see is why that 'ol Banty starts crowing so early in the morning. If most men were as macho as that Banty, then we wouldn't need Marines. We'd let those guys do the dishes. I gotta go I got to crow at the moon. John.

15. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Learned individuals, how did my last post get ahead of my first post? Halloween was yesterday. At least I get another post out of it without too much thought. I am on my way to 10,000,000.

16. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Bump..........:tounge_out:

17. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Being as Mr. Postbettle started me thinking about this i decided continue this in this thread. My mother had three children two boys and one girl. I was the runt. I don't consider myself a runt anymore only because I'm older and hopefully wiser. From the day i started school to 12th grade i was constantly teased about my short stature, as long as i can remember i was the shortest male in my age group. I got into my first fight in first grade and got my butt kicked by a girl LOL. Over a period of time i grew accustomed to the fact that i was small and that i was always going to be teased about it. By the time i got into high school i had earned the reputation as having a bad temper, when actually i was very even tempered. The problem was i was becoming very interested in girls, but thought i had to prove my masculinity in order to impress them. My second proplem was i refused to back down from a fight and nine out of ten times got my butt kicked by someone twice my size. I was very close to my Grandfather when i was growing up and after taking a bad beating twice in one week i decided to ask for his help. It was probably the smartest thing i ever did. I dont have the time to finish this story now as i have to get back to work soon. Ill give you part two as soon as i can. "The runt"

18. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ol Splitshorts. Ya ever notice how bigger men grunt and moan more when they hit the ground. They have farther to fall and it hurts more. I am 5'6', weighed 127 lbs when I wrestled in High School. Weigh 135 lbs now, when I don't have my teeth in.

I've pushed over a lot of trees with a dozer. You cut their roots, build your ramp, stay under their branches and push those puppies over. Back out quickly so their roots don't catch your blade. I loved the sound of the crash.

Tell me more of your story, brother. It is like being in the Marines together. We will square up together and salute those big guys as they fall. LOL.

19. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    And the smaller he is, the farther he slides...:smile2:

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I know you boys knew Id jump in on this one. hehehe. Yep I'm vertically challanged also all 5'7"tough as nails and quick of mind. I havent found a piece of Heavy Equipment ,I cant run. Love playin in the dirt. Love shootin tiny holes in paper,love doing MY best at whatever it is that I'm doin at the moment. I caught hell all my life cause of my size ,but I got the go to itivness to make up for hight ,cept on some stuff,Thats why ladders were made. I weighed a whoppin 121 when I graduated high school and now I've whittled my frame from 170 down to a comfortable 143 I am a small man in stature but big in many other ways ,Just ask some of the Big boys I fired for sluffin off over the years. Like the banty rooster too ,I'll fight if need be even if you are ten ft tall ,I aint skeered.