substitute for lead weights?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by FS Driver, Mar 24, 2008.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    with the cost of everything going up lead is probably no different .
    i say probably because i havent actually priced it in some time now .
    my brother in law gave me over 300 lb.s last summer and i traded it off to the local bait shop for bait , sinkers etc. still have over 80$ credit there to use this spring/summer .
    well anyhoo i was thinking about an alternative to lead and i thought of
    ceramic wall tile . this wouldn't be bad for the environment would it?
    the trick to useing it would be to get a ceramic tile cutting drill bit and
    score the tile into appropriate sized pieces .
    using a cotter pin you could bend the pin out enough to hold the tile until it gets hung up and then a tug would free your pin and you would just reattach a new piece . a rock would work as well and would be environmentally friendly also . anyone ever thought of this or am i just crazy ?:eek:oooh:

2. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    after re-reading my post i see i made a huge mistake in describing the use of the bit . the bit would be used to drill the hole to slide cotter pin into .
    the tiles would need to be scored into sections with an inexpensive scoring tool.both tools would be under 10 bucks together .
    you can get tiles for pretty cheap at discount home centers or flooring outlets.

3. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Darryl why not use rocks??? I've used rocks for sinkers and all you have to do it bent over and pick them up and they're free.

4. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    how do you tie them on ?
    i think drilling a hole in them and useing a cotter pin would work . how about you?

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    If you are fishing in current, I think ya'd have some difficulty with the tile catching the current. Ya might find a tile guy to give ya tile that he removes or broken pieces and leftovers. I think floor tile would be better than wall tile. Might work ok in a lake without current.

6. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I have used a rock when I have ran out of weights.I wrapped it up real good and casted out.Didn't catch anything but it was on there when I reeled the line in.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Old spark plugs work in a pinch,and they are enviro friendly,I will stick with my 200 lbs of lead,It will do me for a while.

8. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I would think that sharp edges on tile could cut your line especially while fighting a fish.. other than that its a great idea.. Being a stained glass artist I take pieces of lead left over from projects, and solder a loop made from copper wire on it. Then wrap with heat shrink tubing and there ya go !!! quick and easy (and cheap) almost snag free sinkers..

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    THANKS FOR EVERYONES RESPONSES !!!
    heres an image of what i had in mind
    this way would allow you to use the same size line on your weight drop as you
    use on your hook drop and the cotter pin would slip out of the tile hole easier than having to work hard at breaking free of a snag , possibly weakening your hook drop or main line .
    the way ive been rigging my three ways up was to use a line half as strong as main and hook line for the weight . no need to use 2 lines with this setup

Attached Files:

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Sounds crazy to me.:smile2:

Not much weight there and in a current it ain't gonna set still too good. I'd stick with scrounging for lead and pour your own. The do-it molds are not that expensive.

11. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    what about rocks????
    i understand the downfall of the tile idea in river current , but in lakes that shouldn't be an issue .
    after paying for gas to go scrounge for the lead then the propane and the hassle of pouring lead , a glass /tile bit would be very quick and easy to bore a few holes before a trip and your practically getting weight for free this way and enviro friendly .
    i know darryl it sounded crazy to me too but there was something there that still peaks an interest in me to try it . and i will soon enough . i'll post my results .i'll put it to you this way . i bet i could have a nice little pile of rocks in the back of the truck with little holes in them and no one would ever touch them , but i bet if they were sinkers instead they would grow feet if left unattended .

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    A lot of limestones are fairly soft and would drill pretty easily with a hammer drill bit. A GOOD hammer drill works three times as good as some of the cheapies. That would work pretty well with your cotter pin idea I would think.

13. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    There is a rig used for Wels Catfish that is called a Pebble Rig, it uses a rock for weight. The rock is held with rubber bands and releases when the fish is hooked. They use rocks from a few ounces to several pounds. You can google Pebble Rig to find out more about them.