submersible lights?

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by GwillE, Jul 7, 2009.

1. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    When I overnight with my son, on the boat he likes to drop the light in the water he gets a kick out of all the minnows and shad the light attracts. it never seemed to bother the channels. a friend of mine told me " The light will spook the flatheads away" Any truth to that guys?

2. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Although I am not a scientist, I always catch way more flatheads without light, I hate light when fishing for flatheads, also I have always noticed that when reeling in a flathead, it fights harder once it sees my headlight. I dont even light a beach fire close to the water when I fish. Absolute total darkness is what I love.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Myself, I don't think there is a bit of truth to the light scaring fish, unless it is a moving light. How do you account for the light on the night of a full moon... normally fishing is slightly better then. If you move the light around, then things are not as they normally are... the moon doesn't move. So, if the light is stationary, as in a boat, or a lantern on shore, I don't think it bothers them in the least.

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I hear what your saying Lawrence... but then again, I heard it told that the flats will move away from the light....That ole full moon just helps with the sillouette of fish higher in the water column...

but then again... that ole submersed lite shure brings the bait up and get the gills going at night....

I'm trying to keep the noise and lights to a min when fishing for flats on the Colorado river...

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i'll say that ray likes it quiet on river. keeps saying i talk too much. :confused2:
    i too don't like lights in water or around when fishing for flats. other fish doesn't seem to bother very much, but to me, flats avoid lights.
    gary

6. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    thanks everyone for the great feedback! I guess I'll have to tell the little guy to shut the light off! daddy is trying to catch a hog!:big_smile:

7. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Like I stated earlier,no scientist, but do yourself a test. catch a flathead, and reel him in with no head light, then turn your headlamp on once he surfaces, promise ya it will fight harder.
    Also this is absolutely true, Noise will KILL your flathead experience, if you are even remotely close to partiers or loud music, get the heck away, Flatheads particually hate sound.

8. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    I also do a lot of bowfishing. If we run the genny and the 500 watt halos we have not seen any cat. If we go silent and use a spot light we may see one or two cats a night and they head out of town when the light gets close to them. We have never seen a flattie bowfishing the ones we have seen is blues and channels. I personally would say cats avoid lights the flats more than the others. Expecially if its a moving light. Dimmer lights stationary may be a little different. I do bank fish with coleman lanterns but try to keep them back from the bank some.

9. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I have tried both ways and to me it did not make any difference. But with the light on I catch crappie while flathead fishing. It makes for some non stop action at times. With lights flats up to 30lbs and without lights up to 43lbs. Try it out and you be the judge. :wink: