Submerged Obstacle Stories

Discussion in 'Boating Stories' started by TeamCatHazzard, Feb 18, 2006.

1. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just curious to see if anyone has any stories about hitting anything in the water. I was boating back the ramp with a buddy one night it was about 2 in the morn and we were crusin the canal at about 50 mph and all of a sudden about a 15 ft long tree about 8 inches in diameter popped right in front of us floating down the canal and before either of us could do or say anything we nailed it and the motor cam flyin out of the water revvin way up and then went back in, we shut it off and checked for damage and it seemed to be ok and still worked and we were both ok. So we went back to the ramp and later found out that it some how took reverse out and the boat wouldnt go in reverse. It was a 20 ft sea ark with a 115 merc on it by the way. It was still pretty scary. I have also spun a prop hittin ice before. Anybody else have any good stories?.....well not good but stories?

2. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    i was going down dardeene creek right were it runs into the river,and hit a piller i'm assuming from an old club house and ruined the lower unit:crying:

3. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    I was prefishing for a Bass tournament on the James/Chickahominy river system in Virginia. We were heading back into the Chick (a tributary of the James) at full throttle - running in the range of 60-65 mph when I felt a thump, the motor redlined and we started dropping off plane. After coming off plane, I put the motor into gear and gave it some throttle. RPMs came up, but no forward progress. I tilted the motor and took a look. The prop was gone! After closer inspection later, it looked like someone had cut the propshaft off with a hacksaw.

I had the lower unit repaired - thankfully with the help of my insurance company. Amazingly there was no other damage to the lower unit. All that was necessary was a prop shaft replacement.

/Scott

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I had a speed boat with a 455 in it and a lot of goodies it was fast well i was running flat out and came around this slight bend in the river and hit a submerged log. we figure i hit it at around 100 to 110 mph. people that saw it said i got about 15 feet in the air all the damage was to the prop and shaft no hull damage. so after a new prop and prop shaft and a change of unders i was back at it lol.

5. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dang mutt that prolly wasnt good.....100-110 mph could have gotten real bad real fast! Oh well its always fun to go fast.

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Well ive slowed done some since then lol dont like much more then 80 on the water lol.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Well lets see now. I lost a lower unit at lees burg fla one time on a turtle running about 60.:sad:

I lost half of a lower unit on a rock trying to get to a cat hole that I knew had some big ones in it. Where that big ole rock come from I'll never know.:crying:

My brother had a nice little bass rig he was dieing for me to try out and I broke it nearly into with a submerged log.:eek:
    I lost a brand new cupped prop last summer at woods on a rock.
    I am telling you man me and those rocks just don't get along.:mad:

8. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

This sounds like a thread meant for a...
    "Stumpjumpers annomyous club" ROFLMBO

9. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Bubbakat, that is one fast Turtle!! LOL Just kidding, I know what you mean. I guess that was a sea turtle you are talking about or was it a big snapper? I'll bet that was a surprise!

I guess I should be glad that my motor is a little on the low side for my boat. It keeps me from going too fast and getting in too much trouble.

10. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    I was backing the first boat I ever built into the river for the first time and felt a small bump on the bottom. As I was coming back in the same thing happened. The water was muddy and I could not see what I had hit. The next day I went to the river again and the police were pulling out a stolen car that had been pushed down the ramp into the water. The hood was up and that was what I had been hitting!

11. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wonder what type of rocks those are anyway? Ya know the ones that show up on props, but not fish finders?

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I bought a boat with a jet on it so I wouldn't have those problems! I can go in 6 inches of water. I had the kids and Netman in the boat and we went over to a gravel bar that I know of. Netman anI were going to catch bait and the kids were going to shoot the rapids so to speak. I looked down a my depth finder and I am in 4 feet of water. I looked up and there's 4 foot 1/2 inch boulder, I yell for everyone to hang on. We landed on the roxk and had to use the paddle to dislodge. Yeah that was a good one. We didn't get any bait either. Oh well, the kids had fun.

13. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    A friend and I were traveling as fast (had to have the hat turned around backwards) as a 27lb trolling motor would go in my little two man pontoon. It was around 2am and we were in the middle of a creek full of stick ups. He was suppose to be guiding me so I wouldn't hit the stick ups. Well he looked away I rekon and bam ran right on top of one. We rocked, pivoted and tried to scoot for nearly two hrs before we finally rocked free.
    It wouldn't have been so bad but the cold refreshing beverages were back at the camp. Two hrs w/o one of them just ain't no fun.

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

When I destroyed my new prop I was just leaving the ramp and had cut into the shore line so as not to disturb some of those 36000 dollar bass rigs I didn't even have the finder on.

I guess the one that made me the maddest was the time I was backing down the ramp and floated the boat off and lowered the motor to get to the courtesy dock and caught somebody's anchor they had lost at the ramp.

The biggest question was why was the anchor out at the end of the doc any way.
    I still have that anchor hanging up in my shop. That thing cost me almost three hundred dollars.

Forrest Gump said it best S --- happens.:)

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have run up on mudflats,stumps,oyster rakes and a big bull gator in a very narrow run.The worst time,was running into a uncharted,undersea mount,in the middle of deep water,out from Holy Loch Scotland.I was in a polaris submarine.There was a weird noise.I had never heard a noise like that before,but I knew what it was.I kissed my behind goodby on the way to my damage control station.We were lucky and hit the sloping side.We had a very cool officer at the conn.He quickly blew the after ballast tank,which picked up the srern and saved the screw.We also hit a soft bottom.Ended up in drydock for inspection,and found no damage.Yea!I some times cry about luck,when I don;t win the lottery.Stupid,ain;t I.I had it all when it counted the most.peewee-williams

16. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ran over a log with my brother-in-law one time when out. Had to sit in the back the rest of the way back to the Dock, as it broke the steering rod, and I had to steer by hand.

17. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    You guys are gonna make me a real safe/slow boater this yr!

18. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    well ducains motor was broke so we had mine on his boat fishing one friday night. i was going to stay out all night cause a buddy i go to church with was going to be fishing a bass tourny sat morning right at my catfish spot. didnt realize wed used the last of gas oil. so after shooting breeze with him for couple hours that morning i was going to the marina to get oil and gas, then go back up the river to get some beakfast. well i get oil and get back in the boat{first time with this motor in the water} so i check to make sure im in neutral { thought it had to be before it would start} i was wrong in both cases. i didnt have it in neutral and it will start in gear. i troll out a ways from the dock and give the rope a big pull it took off in reverse threw me down. i get my bearings just in time to see me heading right for the govenors yacht. when grab the shift arm to get it in neutral i pull to hard and it goes into forward. this sudden change of momentom throws the motor off the boat. which is a hole nother story.:crying: sorry fellas thought i put this in the thread below this one {boating horror stories} but i guess i did have a submereged obstacle {my 20hp merc for about 7hrs}

19. hotrod98s

hotrod98s New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    was running up the upper white river in arkansas, about 40mph, following a bass boat, river is not very wide, and shallow, he was about 50yds in front of us, when for some god forsaken reason he decided to just stop and turn his boat sideways, in the middle of the river, swerved to miss him, and hit a submerged tree, hug up for hours, knocked a twelve inch diameter hole in bottom of boat, good thing for good bilge pump, 400 miles from home on vacation. stayed up all night and fixed boat, after a trip to town to get supplies. but we were able to fish the next day.

20. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    me and a friend were runin up the ky below lock 1 bout 35 mph in his 22' fiberglass deck boat there was a log under water cross ways by the time i could say anything it was too late i looked back at him and saw the prop over his head we hit so hard it cracked the transom all the way across pulled the steerin cables from the console left us using trollin motor all the way back to the ramp had to load the boat by hand it took 1 hr 45 min to drain all the water out of the boat....hated that hope i never see anything like that agian... the key is always watch and for your own safety slow down the fish aint goin nowhere