submerged motor

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by mandingo, Jun 11, 2008.

1. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i have a buddy who recently capsized his boat and tore it up pretty bad and he would like to salvage anything worth of any value.what are the main concerns about the motor and what should be done in order to save it, if even possible?thanks -caleb

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I deep 6'ed a 9.8 merc once and drained carb, took hair dryer and dryed everything out and ran it a couple years after that. I'm no mechanic but hopefully it's not hurt too bad.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Sunk a 60 horse and it stayed on the bottom all night.
    I was running wide open with it the next morning shortly after getting up off the bottom.

4. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    wow,so even if the motor was running when it sank,nothing internally would be damaged?this happened 5 days ago,is it too late to stop corrosion?or is that even an issue?

5. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    I did about the same thing a few years ago. It was late one afternoon and I was just killing time riding way up the creek where I hadn't been in years and ran across a submerged log that knocked my 25 horse Yamaha completely off the back of the boat. It pulled the battery cables off and snapped the gas line off at the primer. The water was about 11 feet deep. I thought, dang, here I am way up the creek and where I won't see anybody till tomorrow sometime and its about to get dark. Well, I stripped off my clothes and hit the water and by pushing on the back of the boat with my hands I could feel the motor on the bottom with my feet. I cut my anchor off and took the anchor rope in my toes and managed to get it threaded thru the lifting handle on the motor. I then lifted the motor off the bottom and moved the boat to shallower water, then lifted the motor again and again till I had it up to where I could get ahold of it. I drug it out on the bank and pulled the plugs and hooked the battery back up and spun the water out of the cylinders. I then hooked the gas line back up and after a while I had it started and running. I put it back on the boat and cautiously motored back to the ramp. Ran that motor for another two years before selling it, never had any trouble.

I now use a lot stronger bolts to secure my motors to the transom, and I have slowed down a bit too, lol.

don3778

6. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    well the way it is sounding that motor may still be in good shape.we might try to mess with it this weekend

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If it's been a week, i mite spray a lube in the cylinders and turn it over till i was sure i had all the water blown from it. Good luck

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i seen a 5.5 briggs get swapmed over night too. he drained the oil. 4 stroke. and fulused it twice. removed plugs and cycled out water. after a few pulls it was running again. i followed him to the ramp and it ran fine.

ya ide get some lubericant into cylenders as soon as possible. metal corrodes quick when un protected. inside of cylinders ect..

9. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    thanks john.the motor also has some cosmetic damage from being banged up and down on the rocks and getting drug out the lake.ill try to post some pics later to see what you guys think

10. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm an old enduro and motocross rider. We used to submerge 2-strokes crossing creeks rivers clear over the seat. We'd pull them up on the bank turn the whole bike upside down with the spark plug out, put them in gear and rotate the rear wheel as fast as possible. Granted they were only under a few minutes but I was amazed at how often I could get them fired up.

I'd dry it out, swap all the fluids and go for it. The sooner the better.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    All i did to mine was change the oil in the VRO and the gas in the tanks.
    I did wipe the river silt off the flywheel.

Made a call down to the marina on the lake that was a dealer for Mariner.
    I aked them what I needed to do.
    The service manager told me if it had Mariner on the side of it nothing. Put gas in it and run the dog poop out of it. Dont take the plugs out. ** I recomend you follow the advice of someone qualified, I'm not**
    Dang thing as always fired right up when I touched the key
    I gave that dog a laxative. I was 5 miles down the lake within an hour of getting the whole bass boat off the bottom.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If yo8u sink a motor and remove it right away anf oil the insides up and clean all the water out there may be a chance. If that motor was removed from the water and wasn't preped right then corrison started after the air hit it. If you sink one in salt water stick it in a tank or lake of fresh water and leave it for 6 to 8 hours that will dissolve the salt. In my stuff here some where I have a good article on just this thing and I'll try to get it up before long.
    Beofre you try to start that motor lube every thing up with TCW-3 oil,ylinders and inside thru the carb intake. you can lay them on their back and pour the oil down into the carbs and then stand it back up.

13. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Kinda reminds me of something I seen on TV. They run snowmobiles across lakes (not frozen), and occasionally sink one. They tie a rope from the frame to the seat, when it sinks the seat floats, they come over and hoist it up with a boat that has a small crane. Drain the carbs, and have her running again in 5 minutes. There's a good chance you can get it running again i would say.