Submerged motor.....

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by harper81, May 25, 2009.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Had a bit of mishap last night at the lake. I was cruising along and the water started to get shallow so I turned toward where I thought was deeper water and it ended up being a sand bar. The motor tried to kick up, but it wasn't bolted to the transom like it should be so it ended up coming off the transom. Me and the guy I was with pulled it back out and set it back on the transom. We took out the spark plugs and pulled the rope easy to see if any water came out and none did. Put spark plugs back in and probably pulled it 4 times and it started back up. We idled most of the way back which was like 30 min. and I went to about 1/4 throttle for probably 10 min. The motor sounded none for the worse, but should I worry about anything. I figure the heat from the ride back should take care of any internal water, but I don't know anything about this stuff so I could be wrong. It is a 15 hp Johnson if that is need to know info.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    It should be just fine, Bill, if you've already run it that much. Might not hurt anything to remove the cowling and spray it down with WD40, or something like that, but it shouldn't be necessary. Glad you came out of it ok.

3. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Thanks Tommy. I will definitely be installing it correctly now. Just never thought too much about it needing more then just the clamps.

4. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    Yep like he said,,, the sooner you can get a water loged 2 stroke motor running again the better, just run the nads of it!!,,, now a 4 strole is a diffrent story

5. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I HAVE NBEEN THERE BEFORE.I HAD A BIG WAVE HIT THE SIDE OF MY BOAT A FEW YEARS BAACK AND PUT ALOT OF WATER IN THE BOAT GOT BACK TO THE BOAT RAMP BUT IT PUT SO MUCH WATER IN THE BOAT THAT IT FORCED THE MOTOR OF THE TRANSOM.I GOT IT OUT PRETTY QUICK AND DID THE SAME SPADE IT DOWN WITH SOME DW-40 AND IT RAN FINE.THE THING THAT SCARED ME THE MOST WAS IT WAS MY DADS BRAND NEW 18 HORSE.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Don't feel too bad about losing the engine. I once clamped my souped up 35 evinrude on the back of a brand new home built 12' wooden boat that a guy wanted me to test, took off down the river, screaming along, when the clamps tore the plywood loose from the transom, then passed me while the prop cut chunks out of the spray rail on the side of the boat, before it jumped out of my hand and the kill switch shut it off. Took me 3 days of diving in that black water to find it, but I took it home and got all the water out of it, cleaned carbs, cranked it and ran it for a couple more years until I finally sold it. I've still got the racing prop around here someplace. :wink:

7. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Went out again tonight and she ran as good as always. So I guess I dodged a bullet this time.