Submarine Sandwiches...What's your choice?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Catgirl, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Well, I enjoy a good sub occasionally and I hadn't had one in a LONG time. So today for lunch I did. In my vicinity (within walking distance) there are quite a few sub shops......Firehouse, Jersey Mike's, Subway, Quizno's and Dante's. At one time or another I've tried them all. If I had to pick from the first four, around here my choice would be Quizno's. Of course every restaurant in a chain is different depending on the staff/management. But LUCKILY, HERE we have Dante's. This place is one of a kind as far as I know, and IMO they have better sub sandwiches than any of those other joints I mentioned.

My normal pick there would be a club plus......choose three meats. For me it's usually ham, turkey and roast beef. Provolone cheese please, I like 'em the ITALIAN way. Pile on the finely shredded lettuce and onions, tomato..... and at Dante's you automatically get banana pepper rings. Top it off with some of their in-house made oil and vinegar mixture and VOILA. No mayo or mustard, that AIN'T a sub, that's just for a plain old sandwich. Don't forget the Claussen-like pickle spear on the side.

Sometimes I stray away from the norm and order the "Super Italian" :big_smile_2:. It's ham, genoa salami, pepperoni, bacon and bologna. A veritable sodium FEAST :0a1:.

Then again, I also enjoy making them at home. The Beano submarine dressing you can buy at the grocery store (find it in the deli section) isn't bad at all, or some Italian salad dressings will work.

SO, do we have any other sub-lovers out there in BOC world? What's YOUR choice?

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Unfortunatly when on my diet I have few choices. lol

Subway is a must.

When I splurdge it is Jersey Mikes, they got awesome subs and cut the meat fresh.

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Just SPLURGE LESS.....then you can get whatever you want :smile2:. And you didn't say what your favorite KIND is, Matt!!!

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Their Origional #13 if I remember right at Jersey Mikes. It has a ton of meat on it. lol

At subway it is the Subway Club Wrap with Lettuce, Pickle, and Fat Free Honey Mustard.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Quiznos is my favorite for roast beef, but I like subway for the deli style sandwich. My absolute favorite sandwich shop is/was a hole in tha wall place called "Over yonder" 7.99 and a meatball sub with a drink and chips that took me and my wife to eat.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    You all know absolutely nothin about a hoagie. Ya gotta come to Philly! Its all in the role. LOL!

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

What "role" you talkin' about George? I've BEEN to Philly, ate a hoagie there too :smile2:.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tanya after reading your post, I got hungry for a Sub. I think I will try a Turkey Club loaded. It's all your fault.

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey MICHAEL!!! I've been blamed for WORSE :crazy:. You go get that turkey club loaded, sounds GOOD!!!

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I wasn't born without tastebuds, SO I must say that my favorite sub shop would have to be Quizno's. I usually eat their prime rib sandwich drenched in horseradish sauce. MmmmMmmMmm. Very hard to beat. There is also a shop in Columbia called Grinder's that serves a mean sandwich. Anything BUT Subway will do. There used to be about 3 Schlotzki's delis that I loved, but they all closed up for whatever reason. They made their own bread, and it was oh, so yummy. Not really a sub sandwich, but huge and good.

11. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    meatball with shreded cheese and horseradish

12. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I cant really say that I have favorite...but the sweet onion chicken tariyaki (sp?) from Subway is really good.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Princess Tanya,I'll go with your club version except if I have the choice as in when I make them, I will substitute fresh spinach leaves for lettuce and add black olive ,green pepper,and cucumbers. There are no bad subs,hoagies,grinders or Po boys UNLESS you let big George make you one on a role instead of a roll.:smile2::tounge_out::eek:oooh::wink::cool2:

14. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Lets just see.

In Tulsa, there are several really good choices. If I want a Philly style cheese steak, then I go to Steak Stuffers. Their stuffer's are GREAT, and they have really good corn dodgers *(fried cream corn like hush puppies)*

If I am in the mood for a meatball sub, then I have to go to Mr GoodCents

If I am wanting just a roast beef sub, there is none better than Hero's at Pine and Mingo. No, the other 2 in town are NOT the same. Get it with roast beef, lettuce, tomatos, onions, and their house dressing and mayo. No, their mayo isn't like what you get outta the jar from the store either.

For a homemade sub, I LOVE to get popcorn fried shrimp, put them on a hogie roll with tarter sauce and cocktail sauce mixed together. Man, those are good but I haven't had one in a LONG time.:0a26:

15. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    I like a club or Italian from Firehouse, Jerseys Mikes or Substation 2.

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    We like the low calorie one at Subway now and then. It's healthy and not bad eating.

17. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I like to make my own, Hoagie bun mayo. Swiss and cheddar cheese.
    smoked turkey, smoked ham and Pastrami. Slather a little butter on top and bottom. Place in a George Forman grill until toasty and cheese melts. Open, add onions, tomato and lettuce.