Styrofoam Liner for 5 Gallon Bucket

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by festus, Jan 28, 2010.

1. festus

festus New Member

Does anyone know of a company that sells a styrofoam liner for a 5 gallon bucket? I checked all over the 'net and can't find one. I have 4 different size battery operated aerators, and a couple of aerators and pumps I can plug into the wall to save batteries. But when warm weather gets here, I'll need an insulated lbait bucket that holds at least 4 gallons to take care of bigger baitfish like shiners and chubs. I already have a 10 qt insulated minnow bucket and several of the 2 gallon pure styrofoam buckets, but they're not quite big enough for shiners.

Someone told me Grizzly Jig Company sold liners for 5 gallon buckets, I checked their catalog and they don't now.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    May not be in the catalog. I'm sure they used to have them. Hit em on the net. Good luck!!

3. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    i have used one of these for years. i catch bream and other bait at the pond and use it to transport home and until getting to lake.

4. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I looked for awhile sometime back for the same thing, and I couldn't find what I wanted. I even considered making my own out of 1/4" styrofoam since it would conform to the bucket easy, but gave up on that idea. It wasn't thick enough for me to keep the heat out in the summer. I ended up buying one, I always thought they were overpriced for what they are made of. It will be interesting to see if someone else comes up with something.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It's a long shot, but if you have a "Big Lots" store in your area, look around the cooler section for a cooler made out of a 6-7 gallon bucket (a little taller than 5 gallons, it takes the same lids). The ones I found say Coca Cola all over them, but you can take the liner out and use in another bucket if you want.

6. festus

festus New Member

That would be a very good idea if I can find one used. But they're about $55 plus tax for new ones. For another 3 bucks, I can buy a brand new Cool Bubbles insulated 5 gallon bait livewell which includes an aerator that runs 85 hours on 2 D batteries with a lid.

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Festus those 5-gallon buckets that have the spinning seat lid have a strofoam insert for drinks or minnows...also that 5-gallon bucket drink cooler will have it inside keep lookin i will keep my eyes peeled for ya....

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I forgot about those. I've got 2 of them. Good tip!

9. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thats just what I was going to say that.....Ace Hardware....

I was thinking of the same, and decided on a narrow ice chest that I converted over with an aireator and bubbles as well...

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    The cheapest suggestion I could think of is one of them cheap styrofoam ice chests. They hold about 5 gallons, and could make a thin plywood box to go around them to protect the styrofoam. Not as convenient to carry as a 5 gal bucket but would work and not expensive.

11. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Festus I just wanted to give you an update on this. I just got back from Bass Pro fishing sale they have going on right now. They have a styrofoam bucket liner with a lid for a five gallon bucket for 5.99, its really nice. I plan on getting one next week, I only had enough money for some line and a few other things I needed today. They also have a nice backpack tackel bag on sale for 29.99.

festus likes this.
  12. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Look into a cooler, hell you can get a bigger roll around cooler with two lids for around 25 or 30 bucks, then buy a Mr. Bubble aerator and mount it on the lid that doesnt pop up, That is what I would do, JM2 cents. Then least You would have a decent cooler and a bait tank all in one.

13. Croker49

Croker49 New Member

State:
    tEXAS
    If you are still looking for a 5 gallon bucket with liner, go to EBay and search under Hunting Bucket. There are several listings for this at 19.99. I have looked for months and this listing and a listing on Amazon for a Personalized Fishing Bucket are all I have been able to find.

There is another I have found, with built in air pump, but is is like $80.00.

I have one I have used for years and will never use any other bait bucket. With air pump I have kept bait alive for several days in Texas 90+ days.

14. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I have insulated them myself before with 1 inch thick foam board, very cheap for a sheet and it will do multiple buckets, cut a circle to fit the bottom add a little silicone and stick it down, then cut a peice of foam board as tall as the inside depth of your bucket,cut it into 1 or 2 inch strips then simply put the strips in and glue them with silicone all the way around the bucket, as easy or fancy as you want, if it gets damaged you can replace the damaged section or just reline the bucket, a 4"x8" sheet will cover alot of buckets, save a tiny bit of money and give you something to do on a crappy day when you can't fish,and you can insulate any bucket, I like the 7 gallon ones myself. those square buckets like kitty litter comes in are great for bait buckets too and even easier to insulate, let your imagination roam and have fun.

15. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Just get the 4gal foam ones with the lid....cut the string attaching the lid and slide it into your bucket, $3.99. If you can't find one I could get one and ship it to you?