sturgeon

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by justwannano, Feb 7, 2008.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I'm wanting to try catching sturgeon. Anyone actually fish for sturgeon?
    I'm wanting some information on fishing for them. I'll be fishing the mississippi.
    the best to ya
    just

2. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bob,
    In the area I fish you can only keep the shovelnose, and some other areas you cant keep anny of them. we mostly catch them on night crawlers while fishing for cats. Some of the larger lake sturgens are a blast to catch they swim like a shark. The only ones I have ever eaten was years ago we bought some smoked strugen at a com. fish market i Keokuk Iow. We just ate them right out of the shell with a fork , some crackers, and lots of beer. Those were the days my friend. Good Luck.

3. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    They sell smoked sturgeon in Niota Illinois at the fish market. Its very good. They also have very good pickled herring.

4. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Try fishing on a shallow sand flat at night. We catch them from time to time. My buddy caught one once while I was with him that had a tag that said Columbia Mo. on it. He had to have swam down the Missouri river, went through the lock and dam at Alton and then 120 miles south down the Mississippi to were he caught him. They go airborne like a bass sometimes when they are hooked.

5. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I went to Washington State and fished for sturgeon in the Columbia River. The bait that everyone likes to use up there is pickled herring. The kind that you can find in most supermarkets. It's in a jar, usually sold in the Meat Dept. It flakes apart almost like canned tuna. You pinch a large piece onto your hook, then take thread and start wrapping it around and around the herring, It actually ties the herring onto your hook quite well. I bank fished just like I would for catfish. I caught a couple 5 pound channels and 6 sturgeons in just a few hours. Nothing real big. The biggest was 20 pounds. They were a blast though. A few of them came up and did some tail walking! They are real energetic and very fast. I released them all, so I don't know what they taste like.

6. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd love to catch one 20lbs. Everything around here has always been 5lbs or under.

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I manage to bring about a 20lber to the boat yesterday. Fishing a deep scour hole below a wing dam, on small chunks of skipjack filet.

8. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ever watch them catch the white sturgeons out west? Monsters!

9. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I catch them all the time. The last one I caught was 56 inches and I fought it for 20 minutes or more. They are fun to catch, if you think a cat fights wait till you hook into a nice sturgeon. Every one I had caught was on night crawlers while fishing for channels.

Attached Files:

10. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I chase lake sturgeon every spring. They are an absolute blast and when you tie into a big one it is like reeling in a volkswagon. All we do to target sturgeon is watch the boat electronics looking for breaks and holes. When we find one we rig up our catfish gear just like we normally do but use nightcrawlers for bait.

To have real success you must hold the rod. If they feel any pressure at all they will spit the hook. Very light bite but when you set the hook on em they really rock and roll.

11. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    We have a lot of sturgeon in the Mississippi river but we are not allowed to even take one out of the water in Tennessee. The rules are that strict. No boating of Sturgeon at any time in Tennessee.

Sure wish I could catch one.

Jesse

12. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    It is all catch and release up here as well, though there is nothing in the books about putting them in the boat.
    There is one area of the lower St. Croix where you are allowed 1 over 50 inches with the purchase of a tag, from the town of Prescott north to Taylors falls. I have yet to fish that stretch of the river. They have a zebra mussle law that if you go south in your boat from where I am you can't go back up river with your boat, only by trailer.

13. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    Bob, I posted this on your other thread but I thought I would post it here as well to for others to see and/or comment. As a fellow Iowan, I know they are legal to keep, however, I don't know the regs on the Mississippi...

I have caught my deal of sturgeon over the years. And I agree 110% that they make just about the best smoked fish and they are also great grilled and dipped in butter. I have heard it often called the "Poor man's lobster". I love the stuff so here is how I generally catch them.

I would say 80-90% of the sturgeon I catch are on trotlines, but they can be caught on a rod and reel as well. I think the only bait that I have caught them on is nightcrawlers. They have very sensitive mouths and they will not go up to eat floating bait (at least from my experience). So the trick is to completely cover your hook with the night crawler. Generally I will put the worm over the hook either like a sock or I will fold it over the hook enough to cover almost all of the metal of the hook (very important). Additionally, I always set a splitshot or two a few inches above the hook to make sure the worm stays on the bottom. Depending on how much current you might want to put a swivel and additional sinkers a foot or so above the hook and splitshot.

Sturgeon fishing can get really hot in the late spring and early summer. When I set trotlines, I can usually go up the river setting lines and then return back down to where I started and find a line half full already. This can continue for a few weeks and then it usually backs off, but you can still catch them. I always lay may trotlines or throw my rod and reel line off the end of a sandbar or on a flooded sandbar. They seem to work the sandbars for worms and other food. I haven't caught many monsters, but they are a very unique and great tasting fish so have fun and good luck!!

14. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    monster picture

Attached Files:

15. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yep, thats a bigun.

16. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I catch them in the springtime just below a wingdam, on worms. They are very good smoked. I've never tried to clean one yet, but am going to this year. They say it has a mud vein that needs to be taken out. Anybody know about this? Later Andy

17. Roadkillwarrior

Roadkillwarrior New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish the Wabash river in Indiana and have a spot that has a hard clay bank that I believe extends all the way to the bottom of this deep hole. It is the only spot like this on that stretch of river and we catch shovelnose sturgeon on night crawlers in early spring.

18. Kowegi

Kowegi New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The ones where i live are endangered and protected (except the shovelnose). I know that some people snag them in rocky waters using 8/0 size trebles. Make sure you check your regulations before snagging (in tennessee, you can snag any non game fish. Catfish are considered a gamefish, but you can snag and use a trotline....)

19. KEITH GRUMMEL

KEITH GRUMMEL New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    NICE FISH WAYNE I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE THAT BIG

20. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    We have 3 types here on the Missi between MO/IL. A few pallad, which are a release fish (rare in North MO) and more Lake Sturgeon (which some locals call "rubber nose" for their softer upturned nose). The Lakers get decent size, but there aren't many and I bet the net guys are keep'n some (big trouble if caught). We have lots of shovelnose, but they are almost too small to clean - and cleaning is a bit tough. I am going to the Columbia river this fall for larger sturgeon. Maybe I can just go north for big'ns next year. Hannibal Mike Here everyone uses worms, but I am going to try some of this tread's ideas.