Sturgeon

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by justwannano, Feb 7, 2008.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I gotta admit I've never caught a sturgeon.
    Which makes it a challenge.
    I know they are caught around here and are probably the best tasting smoked fish there is.
    So I just gotta catch some.
    Don't really know where to start.
    I'll probably be fishin the mississippi.
    Any hints or tactics you guys use will be appreciated.
    the best to ya
    just

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    GOOD LUCK STURGIN FISHING

3. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    A friend of mine was down at the skunk river, access 2, and there was a sturgeon swimming a few feet from the bank. Please dont ask me HOW but he caught the dang thing with his hands. And by the way im an honest person. It was something like 24 inches long i believe. ill find pictures next time im at his house.

anyways im not sure how to catch them. that is a good question. i do know where to buy smoked sturgeon though! down in niota illinois. only 25 minutes from burlington, theres a fish market that sells it. i go in there once in a while and buy a chunk of it and eat it on my way home and its GOOD! i also love their pickled herring.

4. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    I have caught my deal of sturgeon over the years. And I agree 110% that they make just about the best smoked fish and they are also great grilled and dipped in butter. I have heard it often called the "Poor man's lobster". I love the stuff so here is how I generally catch them.

I would say 90% of the sturgeon I catch are on trotlines, but they can be caught on a rod and reel as well. I think the only bait that I have caught them on is nightcrawlers. They have very sensitive mouths and they will not go up to eat floating bait (at least from my experience). So the trick is to completely cover your hook with the night crawler. Generally I will put the worm over the hook either like a sock or I will fold it over the hook enough to cover almost all of the metal of the hook (very important). Additionally, I always set a splitshot or two a few inches above the hook to make sure the worm stays on the bottom. Depending on how much current you might want to put a swivel and additional sinkers a foot or so above the hook and splitshot.

Sturgeon fishing can get really hot in the late spring and early summer. When I set trotlines, I can usually go up the river setting lines and then return back down to where I started and find a line half full already. This can continue for a few weeks and then it usually backs off, but you can still catch them. I always lay may trotlines or throw my rod and reel line off the end of a sandbar or on a flooded sandbar. They seem to work the sandbars for worms and other food. I have never caught one over 4 lbs probably, but they are a very unique and great tasting fish so have fun and good luck!!

5. tmbragg67

tmbragg67 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We've caught smallish sturgeon (a few lbs) while fishing shrimp on the bottom in the tailwaters of a dam. They just picked it up and started swimming away until the circle hook embedded - didn't smack it like a catfish. We've also had a couple of big fish break off that we suspect were sturgeon based on how they just started moving away with it - pure speculation, of course - but there are some monster sturgeon in the river. Never tried fishing for them directly but there are commercial fisherman around that catch them on trot lines.