sturgeon

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by John Jennings, Nov 23, 2009.

1. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I caught a shovelnose sturgeon down by cannelton on a 2inch shinner. When I first brought it to the surface my reaction was WTF is that!! How often are these things caught and how abundant are they in the ohio? I let him go after I figured out just what I had caught because I figured it was probably endagered and protected but still my curiosity is up and I was pretty stoked to catch such an ancient species of fish! Has anyone else ever caught one? This one was about 3lbs and about 20 inches long.

2. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    very cool! I would have wondered what I caught too once it popped up on the surface:smile2:

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've never caught one, but everyone says they just vanished years ago.. and with that being said the local agency just restocked several hundred in hopes of bringing them back.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  4. festus

festus New Member

They're still around. The shovelnose is one of the smaller sturgeons, but there's some big ones of other species in TN. I heard that TN Wildlife Resource Agency caught and moved one out of Watts Bar Lake a few years ago when there was drought and it was in danger of getting trapped in shallow water, 102 pounds.

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
  6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee