Sturgeon run report

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by daystarchis, Mar 15, 2009.

1. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Left Fresno around 10:30 and stopped in i believe Freeport to get bait (pile worms and ghost shrimp) Then drove another 40 miles or so Near Calusa on the Sacramnto river. Got to our spot at 3 ish and found boats in the water marking our diamond back friends:wink: Came to a squaters shack with carpet inside. We decide to make came at the uninhibited dwelling. We didnt know if we should, but with the clouds and wind l:wink:eek:oking eminent, we decided to declare Manefest Distiny:smile2:

We decided to make dinner before the tide came in and the prime time to begin. We had chicken breast, corn with bacon, potatoes and sticky rice:wink: It was the bomb:wink: After getting full bellys we rigged up 12 oz sinkers but later had to toss 14oz sinker due to the heavy current. Had some bites here and there and Pistol peat hooked on to only have it break his 80# line:eek:oooh::embarassed: Then night fell and the monster bit:wink: Anthony (fullmoon) with lightning reflexes set the hook. The fight began. Me and grasshopper slid down the bak to land the dino. Got its tell tied up and hauled it up the bank. Only fish caught but it was a keeper at 53 1/2 inches and weighted 45-50#.

I manned the poles all night as everyone got some shut eye. Had 3 take downs and that was it. Got up and headed back to Fresno. Pulled into Anthonys house in record time:cool2: Neighbors grasshopper and pistol pete did the honors of cleaning the sturgeon.

I want to thank Anthony for the invite and to experience the Sturgeon run.

Attached Files:

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    More pics

Attached Files:

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    That is a nice dino there.That area is on my agenda to hit up soon. I can not wait for the adventure. Great report.

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Great report Robb ...If you never ate sturgeon before your in for a treat it's the best.

5. full moon

full moon Guest

Thanks,Godfather for bringing good cheer and patience for this trip! It was well worth it, eh?:wink:Show that Godfather, Grasshopper, and Pistol Pete some love on reps! If Grasshopper doesn't place rope around tail and Robb doesn't help Grasshopper, goodbye fifi (it was a preggo)! Planning one more trip between now and end of April, Be there or be square!

:smile2::big_smile_2::0a31: Robb!

Anthony

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :crazy:
    "You guys did the D@M thang"!

That was a good report & it made me want to get out there and get my line wet even more now. :0a32:
    :wink:

Thanks for sharing it with us all.
    :0a23:

7. StankBait

StankBait New Member

State:
    CA
    Sweet Dino!!!!

That shack looks great. You should set up for a week next time:wink:

Way to go on the legal!!

Glad you got into fish.

No stripers????

Stankbait

8. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Nicely done. Last time I fished at Calusa It was just stripers.

9. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Nice Catch, and good job avoiding the SKUNK.

10. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Good job guys. Nice fish. Cool shack too:roll_eyes:

11. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    That would be fun. You know I'm ready to go. Great job on the catch. I can't believe I had to work, I would have really enjoyed being up there. Next time. Oh yeah, when's dinner?:smile2:

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    It is a fun trip Sean:wink: Must be prepared. You will love it:wink:

13. full moon

full moon Guest

Be ready. Be prepared!!! I'm debating when next sturgeon trip should be. April 16-18 is taken. Run ends usually after first week in May. Start checking out fishsniffer.com. for sturgeon reports. Post things for our Fresno contingent. Barb is planning on joining me for April tournament for maybe 24-36 hours of fishing.

Let's set firm date so that Godfather, The King, Running Spirit, and Full Moon can all get a sturgeon. It will be my final trip to Sac River this year.
    Thanks again Robb for everything past weekend.

Anthony

14. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Anthony,
    I'm down for the sturgeon trip anytime. I went by Robb's and saw a few more pics. What an awesome feeling to catch a fish like that. I will cancel any and all plans for that trip(except for gathering). Keep us posted and let us know when you decide to go. Can't wait.

15. full moon

full moon Guest

We'll need to coordinate finances of trip. Last weekend was a $225 excursion for me. I'm not going out this weekend. It is looking like late March or late April at this point. I'll be in touch.

Anthony

16. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Sounds good. I'm sure if we all pitch in a little it can cut some of the cost for ya. $225.00 split 3-4 ways isn't that bad. If you want some help coordinating let me know. I'll help ya get this show on the road. First we need to find a date that works for everyone. Ane make sure you have that AAA card available.:smile2:

17. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    That AAA card came in mighty handy:wink:

18. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Robs sounds like a great time. Congrats from Mo on a fun trip. I would like to try that sometime.

Tom

19. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks brother. It is a fun time hunting them Sturgeon:wink:

20. full moon

full moon Guest

LOL!!! I will work on setting up target date by end of weekend.

Anthony