Sturgeon report card

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Pile drivers, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Pile drivers

Pile drivers New Member

State:
    California
    I don't no if you brtothers heard but when you go and get it you got to show your fishing lic and it the end of the year you got to send it back to the fish & game because if you don't they will fine you so read it because you got to put you name and your address and the state you live I don't no if fullmoon told you but that what you got to do oh and it come will three tags so when you catch one you got to tag it and I don't no if you no it but once you catch one you can not fish for sturgeon in till the next day so we got to on it no play here so that it brother and let's catch one for the B.O.C.and my brother be safe out there and have a good week end p.s.thank you pile drivers

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks for the post. I think it is for anyonethat catches one......

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    The fish regs state: got to have a sturgeon report card in possession while fishing for or taking them...

4. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Thanks for the info Rob.

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good info I need to keep that in mind. In process of looking into coming up there soon with a few people to get into some sturgeon fishing soon. Getting kinda excited about it.

6. full moon

full moon Guest

It would be an honor to wish with the Legend! March 19th weekend...be there!

Anthony

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2010
  7. Pile drivers

Pile drivers New Member

State:
    California
    It going to be movie time but I see they got alot of sturgeon video out and they is allright but wait to they get of load of this one I no will all the pole out there someone got to get one now that I got a YouTube account I'll going to video it on my phone but I got to get it when everbody is coming in so brother this is when the new year start for me

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Yea....It would be something to fish with a legend.....

9. Pile drivers

Pile drivers New Member

State:
    California
    Who that brother oh tell Peter I'll going to show him how to cast for sturgeon while we didn't going because of work but I'll going to try again next week brother a when is the catfish trip coming up

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Brother you guys didn't go to Rio Vista this morning? I think we are going upthere next Saturday. Be cool to fish with ya'll.

11. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Here is a bit of trivia on the Sacramento and the green sturgeon....

The California Department of Fish and Game proposes a ban on sturgeon fishing in more than 80 miles of the Sacramento River, between Redding and Butte City.
    The proposed closure area contains habitat believed to be more important for green sturgeon than for white sturgeon. It contains a number of deep holes, known to fishermen, where green sturgeon rest on their upstream spawning run.
    In data gathered from survey cards returned by anglers last year, about half of all green sturgeon caught in the Central Valley were caught in the proposed closure area.

In comparison, Peeples called green sturgeon a "trash fish" no one wants to keep because it isn't as tasty. Yet he agreed that some anglers continue to fish green sturgeon just for the thrill.

Bob Boucke, owner of Johnson's Bait & Tackle in Yuba City, said Fish and Game should simply step up its enforcement to prevent anglers from targeting green sturgeon. This could also help control sturgeon poaching for a caviar black market that has proliferated in recent years.
    Data gathered from survey cards returned by anglers last year, about half of all green sturgeon caught in the Central Valley were caught in the proposed closure area

Not sure if this legislation went through..... but I do know that the season kicks off in Feb..... and the rains really influence the washing out of the holes.....

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Some good information there Ray. I agree with the post that the DFG should step up there inforcement on poachers. That would help a lot.

13. gilmafam

State:
    California
    With cell phone technology, I have seen many bro's checking the mail and messages.....

There is a "Cal Tip" hot line to call about folks that are poaching and doing illegal things with the game....

I for one, have called one time on excessive catch by " Vietnamese fishermen" in the local harbor that were greatly exceeding he daily bag limit on bonita.....

In addition to this.... it is sickening to see folks catching small crabs and other "shore side" fish that are kids size..... but they take "em and eat em"..... which takes away part of the food chain in the harbor....

Not that there is lots of "gamies" to go around.... but they could use some of our help...

14. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I would also like to say here Brothers. That I think there is a rule that a person should not take an OVERSIZE Sturgeon out of the water for pics. It usually takes a long time to bring in a large sturgeon, causing a lot of stress to the fish, and anything can happen.
    I once witnessed a person who land an OVERSIZE Sturgeon cradling the monster for pics, the Sturgeon wiggled, the fish slipped out of the fisherman's grasps, and HIT the deck like a TON of bricks. After an second attempt at a pic the fish was released. One will never know if that fish survived that fall. They can very easily BUST a liver or kidney or other fatal internal injury.
    Just thought I pass that little bit of info along.

15. gilmafam

State:
    California
    You are so right with the post John.... nice avatar fish...

When a person fishes with barbless hooks he is fishing to release fish..... such as with trout...

With sturgeon...... to go out and keep all that one gets.... or fish not in the "slot".... then these boys are hurting the sport like seals are with other species.

Here is some information on Cal Tip..........

I do not advocating calling 911 to report drivers.... but this is our fishing... and its future.... IMO

To Report a Poacher or Polluter
    If you witness a poaching or polluting incident or any fish and wildlife violation, or have information about such a violation, immediately dial the toll free CalTIP number

1 888 DFG-CALTIP (888 334-2258), 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Be prepared to give the fullest possible account of the incident including the name, address, age and description of the suspect, vehicle description, direction of travel, license number, type of violation and when and where it occurred. You do not have to give your name.

Information from the call is relayed to the Fish and Game region where the offense occurred and an investigation is undertaken locally........So do not expect the fish and game to show right now.... only at mendota..LOL

16. monstercatcher

monstercatcher New Member

State:
    california
    Hey bro u coming up for march 19 the big strugeon kick off going to bee off the hook

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I will let u know. May bring the crew along and do some filming. Pm me your contact in case I decide to or just hook up with you and your brother on another run. Also remember you can hit me up for a flathead run this year. Its going to be a great year lots of us are going to put it down, including my boys from Funky.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  18. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Yea, bring the fellows up.....Love to meet you and them.

19. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Blue.... why dont you come to Blythe and meet the boys from up north....2-3 cars coming...????.

AZ/Ca Blythe Gathering.... May 21......The same week end of the Clear lake tournament.....

But there are gatherings at Mendota before.... starting Feb 20

You have a filming crew?

20. monstercatcher

monstercatcher New Member

State:
    california
    I will bro that will be great hope u make it down to our gathering and bring ur crew bro damn that would be alot of people too, man that would be alot of poles out cause everyone have that two pole stamp hehehe.....lol.