Sturgeon Pic Found

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by BIG GEORGE, Dec 8, 2007.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Its several moons old but here it is. Delaware river about a mile south of the Commodore Barry bridge. August in about 10 feet of water. Have no idea what kind it is cause I know there are a few differnt species. Thats me old john boat. Look good in shorts don't I. Was knockin at 300lbs. when this pic was taken. LOL!

Attached Files:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats a cool fish! That can't be you in the pic,that guy has no beard!:tounge_out::smile2:
    Thanks for sharing!

3. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Nice sturgeon. Aren't they a cool fish? We target them every spring in Northern Minnesota before the catfish rivers get rolling. What a blast!!!

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    George, that appears to be an Atlantic Sturgeon. Nice photo; Thanks. :big_smile:

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice Sturgeon, Big George.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks George for sharing the pic of the sturgeon. I took a double take of the knock out. I see you were playing it safe. Wearing the glove.:smile2:

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Cool nice to know they are out in the Delaware..........Nice pic.........

8. rgmatt

rgmatt New Member

State:
    Delaware River,Pa
    Yes it is nice to see them showing up again in the Delaware. spring of '06 while striper fishing in a tidal portion of the Big D, I foul hooked one on the top of the head. It was around 3' but came unbuttoned as I got it to the side of the boat. My buddy was scrambling for the camera but was too late. At least I had a witness and didn't have to handle it since they are endangered species. 3 days later in the same area I got to watch 2 other sturgeon of the same size range, in the shallows of a flats area. I guess they were in spawning mode. :big_smile:

I didn't see the pic but as said above it probably was an Atlantic Sturgeon. From what I've read and talking w/ other river rats, they are the more common species of sturgeon seen in the Delaware these days. The other native to the river is the short nose sturgeon(also endangered).

Matt

9. rgmatt

rgmatt New Member

State:
    Delaware River,Pa
    just saw the pic(that 10 post thing) very cool!:big_smile:

Matt

10. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Nice fish K50. Thanks for digging up the pic.:cool2:

11. Romo

Romo New Member

State:
    PA
    thank you awesome pic!

12. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Nice sturgeon. they say we have some kind here but never seen one.Thanks for the pic.

13. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Thats awesome George that was the one and only fish I had never caught from the Big D and trust me I wanted to :big_smile: Ive snagged lamprey down that way and even seen bluefish quite far up the Big D but never caught me that sturgeon. That is a truely unique catch :wink:

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    BEARD i was thinking color! lol

nice pic BG, thanks for posting it. that is one of the fish on my tocatch list.