Sturgeon on the Snake River Idaho

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Snakerivercat, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Sturgeon are the toughest fighting fish here in Idaho. They have bone crushing head shakes. They can tail dance across the surface of the water or they'll just air it out big. When you first hook into them they run like superman then the real fun begins thrashing,jumping and crashing. Sometimes they'll take you under a rock and bury their nose in deep and keep your arms aching for a hour. (Try not to let this happen) I love fishing for the prehistoric behemoth's. They're pretty close to dinosaurs. I respect this fishery a lot. Hopefully people here in Idaho and others that come to tangle with these wonderful fish will do the same. Here are some pics of a medium sized fish I caught. Only a 6ft. But this size fights awesome.

Attached Files:

2. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    rest of pics from that day.

Attached Files:

3. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Thanks for the post. I have seen many video, and pics of Sturgeon fishing on the snake. I'm sure glad we have them here in California. We have a good population of them, the White, and the Green Sturgeon, and again I'm sure lucky to be able to keep the ones I catch. 3 a year. They are by far my favorite to fish for. Here is a picture of my personal best.

Attached Files:

4. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    That is awsome. How many do you guys catch in an outing? Do you use cut bait?

5. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    John, Great keeper fish. We can't keep any here. But I have fished for them on the columbia river. We didn't catch any in the slot limit. That's great you get to keep three. Awesome.

6. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Ken when the bite is hot, I have caught 7 in one day. My best weekend was 19 fish caught and released. This is not a normal weekend, turbines were running just right and the fish were piled in the holes. My friend has caught 237 fish this year total. He records every fish ,very meticulous. He is also retired so he fishes like a mad man. Yes we do use cut bait. Anything from sucker,crappie,perch, trout,chubs,squaw fish & also squid,pickled herring,pickled shad,salmon and salmon roe. Some guys use a ball of night crawlers. Many different baits. Matching what comes through the turbines seems to work the best.

7. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    You must be a weight lifter Jason. That would really make for tired muscles. I hope some day you can capture a fight on video and post it. It is really awesome to see these GIANTS jump complete out of the water. Mine did, and it something one will never forget.

8. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have a video but it's in a weird format. My Friend took it on his hard drive video cam. I'm really not that computer savvy. I have a program that plays it but when I have tried to transfer it or combine it, the video will not play. I think it's in a MOV format.(I have no clue what I'm talking about). That video was taken on the Columbia. We caught some nice ones.Yes you get tired but if you fish for them a lot you get broke in. You have time to rest in between fish. We fish with two pole's. One time my two Friends and I had a triple on. That was one of my best fishing moments in my life. I'll never forget it. Sometimes where we fish it gets to be like combat fishing. Guy's see your catching fish then they try to move in but usually they can't hit the holes. So it's all good. Everyone wants to fish and that's ok. We use 80lb. mono and try to get the fish in as quickly as possible then revive and release. We max the drags and wrestle them in. It does put a whoop on ya sometimes. Lever drags are what we use mostly. Although I have landed a lot of fish on my old reels. Penn345's. I prefer the lever drags though. I have a Accurate B2-30 and a Avet HXW that I just got that I'm really anxious on trying out. I currently fish with Shimano TLD 25's. They handle the fish good but I wanted to step up to aluminum framed reels instead of graphite. I used to fish with 10 to 12 ft. rods for casting out long distances but now I have switched to 7ft. rods in a heavy action. I still can cast plenty far but I have way more power now with the short rod. I don't have to use so much energy fighting the fish now. Plus when you got a big belly like me that helps to. But I do get some nasty forearm pump sometimes. Sorry about the rambling on. Jason

9. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Here's one of the rigs I'm using currently. The rod is a TS 70 H a friend of mine made. I call it Black and Blue. 7ft heavy action with shimano tld25 lever drag reel. Momoi line 80lb. 200lb leader material crimped. 10/0 gamakatsu 4x circle hook. We made the handle on the rod with a 18" butt section instead of a standard 14". This gives me better casting ability. Helps a lot. I also made a larger arm and handle on the reel. The handle has a decent offset/angle for power.

Attached Files:

10. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Here's the new Accurate B2-30 reel I just got. New pole getting made for this one. Should pull in some major sturg.

Attached Files:

11. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Sweet. There is supposed to be Sturgeon in the Delaware river out my way but they are hard to find. I hear about them in the spring.

12. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Go track'em down Ken. They're a blast to catch.

13. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Don't stop now Jason, I'm enjoying all that you are posting. I can't get enough info when it comes to STURGEON. This is the boat I often go out on tho catch sturgeon. That day I caught only 2, and I kept the BIG ONE.

Attached Files:

14. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Wow, is all I can say. Those are some nice keepers. That looks like lot's of fun John. That's a nice boat. What's your slot limit length or is there any? Do you fish in the bay for those or do you go way out? I've never ate a sturgeon yet. I'm thinking about going back over to the columbia again and trying for keepers. Do you catch many shakers(small fish) there?

15. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Jason, We fish for them in the Sacramento River, but they are all over the place here in California, my local reservoir just planted 10 of them, and other reservoirs also have them in it. WE are allowed to keep 3 a year, but I think it should be only 1, Thee years ago you could keep as many as you wanted as long as there between 46 to 66 and not more than 1 a day. We catch them on all the baits that you mentioned. In the river my favorite bait is ROE, in the reservoir I use globs of worms like you said. Thanks to good management by the Fish and Game we have a very good sturgeon population.

16. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Man I envy you. Sounds like you've got a great fishery there. Our sturgeon population is great in some sections of the river and not so hot in others. We have a lot of hydro power here so that means dams. No fish running to the ocean anymore. Kind of sad actually. Although Oregon and Washington are going to have to send some of the fish to us in the Columbia because of the dams that block fish from coming here. There is a proposal on the table now. I hope it passes. We have had some spawning issues here. River flows fluctuate to much and maybe too much fishing pressure at spawning times. I hope they make it and stay here for future generations. We police our selves pretty good here. Barbless hooks and we really get after guys for using light gear. Light gear causes a angler to have to fight a fish for a hour or more. This is very hard on fish. With big tackle we can haul them in any where from 15 to 30 minutes. Anything over 8ft. does get a little tougher. My friend Kelvin and I landed a 10 footer together it took us about 45 minutes. She was massive. Broke his pole at the handle below the reel. Luckily she was played out and pulled her in by hand at the last second. She was the most beautiful thing I have ever saw. Fish and game moved her now to a different section of the river for breeding purposes. Broke my heart but it's better for the population. I hope anyways.

17. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I agree Being able to ocean run and return I think is the main reason for a good population. When the Herring are spawning in the San Francisco Bay, the sturgeon are so thick in there eating the Roe that the area has to be closed to sturgeon fishing because they are stacked up like wood and you know there is always some who can't resist the opportunity to cheat.
    We also frown on the people who use lite gear, they think they are sportsmen, LOL, I even see them in other types of fishing, takes to long to bring in a fish, and the stress kills half of them.
    Another BIG issue is that a lot of guys like to bring a OVER size fish onto the BOAT for some pics. F&G don't like that IDEA, to many guys don't know what they are doing and bust up the fish's inside, and release them to die later. They can be sited for boating an oversized fish.

18. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice fish sounds like a lot of fun

19. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    James, I think they are the BEST tasting fish , and Everyone knows their eggs make the best caviar in the World

20. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio