Sturgeon netting

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Catmansc2006, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Catmansc2006

Catmansc2006 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Blackkatz,
    How goes the netting for sturgeon? How many have you caught if any for the dnr? If so any big ones?
    Hope your enjoying the work, and good luck!

2. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Send him a private message. He may not find it right here.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I got it. Been sick for a few days and haven't been on much. We've only put out nets once and caught 3 shortnose sturgeons up to about 20 lbs each for genetic sampling and tagging. The shortnose doesn't get too much larger than that, from what I know, although the Atlantic can go into hundreds of pounds. Tomorrow we plan to try another area near the ocean. The ones that have been tagged previously are making their way upriver in prep for spawning. This is all new to me, and I'm enjoying it a lot so far, even though I've been fighting a terrible cold, but I'm coming back now. Thanks:smile2:

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I hope you feel better Tommy and dont forget about those GPS cords on those hammer catfish holes you find.LOL

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i was wondering about the nets you set out...what other types of fish do bring up in the nets when you check them??

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Craig, I haven't been out enough to know. Yesterday was only my second time netting, (only caught 2 gars, no sturgeon), but we will be doing quite a bit more between now and June. A lot of the fish have already had transmitters inserted, so we don't need to do as much netting is some areas as in others. The bycatch can range from gars to catfish to carp, you name it. What ever will gill in the large mesh nets. Some areas have very little bycatch and others have more. I saw one photo with the bottom of the 20' boat covered in catfish, over 120 of them. I'll ask for a copy of those to post when I get a chance. I'm still being trained. There's a lot of areas that have to be covered. They have receivers to pick up the transmitted signals from all the fish and we have to download that data on a regular basis, too. I'm enjoying everything so far. :smile2:

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    OK, here are some pics, as promised. The Shortnose sturgeon pictured is representative of that species, they don't get too much larger than shown here, although the Atlantic sturgeon can get several times larger and weigh hundreds of pounds. We are focusing primarily on the Shortnose, with some study being done also on the Atlantic.
    The catfish shown were all caught a couple of years back by the biologists in a single set net; I think it was 120+ fish, with the largest, held by my boss, but they didn't have a scale with them to weigh it. This was in the sanctuary below the santee dam. All fish were released.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i would say they was biting that day tommy. dang that would be job to just throw all of them back in. thanks for keeping us posted on this information. very interesting to those of us that have never seen the process of studies. you keep it up and you will be running the scales at randolfs next year.:tounge_out:

9. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    Wow, My jaw hit the floor when I saw all those catfish.. Then I passed out when I saw the monster. Thanks for sharing the picture of the sturgeon. That was soo awesome. Mr. Tommy, You know how kids can shadow thier parents when they go to work to see what their parent do? well I was wondering if you could adopt me for the entire time you are on the Stugeon assignment and allow me to shadow you while your working.. :big_smile:

Man how lucky can one be in a lifetime. I wish I could do that.. I am just so thankful that you are sharing your experience with us.. Well I hope you have recovered from you flu.. Please keep the pictures coming..

Talk to you soon.. I am gonna try and fish Monday thru Thursday coming.. Do you know where the fish are bitting at?

Lenny

10. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for posting the photo of the Sturgeon, look's a little like the Green Sturgeon.

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, Guys. I’m enjoying it a lot. The people I’ve met at work are great, too. They are all very dedicated folks. It’s not always as much fun as it might seem, but if you love the outdoors like I do, it’s a blast.
    Michael, those fish are thick in the sanctuary when the shad and herring are spawning. I watched those big cats roll on top last year while I was fishing just below the boundary; ‘bout drove me craaaazy watching them. LOL
    Lenny, dept policy won’t let me adopt you, but I’ll try to keep you informed. haha Actually, I haven’t had a chance to get out fishing myself in several weeks, nor have I talked with anyone, so I’m not real sure about the bite right now. Water temps are steadily warming, though, so they are probably still scattered out. Should be moving into the shallows more and more, too. Just my thoughts….
    Longhunter (Paul), welcome to the BOC. Glad to have you. Is that a Green Sturgeon you’re holding in your avatar? It’s a nice one, for sure. Maybe you can share some of your sturgeon fishing experience with us here.
    The sturgeon here are moving up the rivers in preparation for the spawn, and we’ll be putting out egg collection mats this week in known spawning areas. The eggs settle in the water column and stick to these mats, and then we have to clean and examine the mats, collect any eggs for study, etc throughout the spawn.

12. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Blackwaterkatz
    Thak is a White Sturgeon caught on the Colombia River during spring run, he was tagged in the Sacramento River CA. two year ealier.I lived in Portland OR. for many years and we fish for Sturgeon like folks here do for Cats.
    The Columbia River Basin has the largest Population of (we call them Gators) that one is 58 inches, the slot limit is 34 to 60 inches all others must be released unharmed over 60 inches can not be removed from the water.
    I have caught 100s of White Sturgeon but never a Green they are smaller than white only get to about 7 ft. they are a blast to fish for, like Cats you take everything but the kitchen sink with you for bait.

If I can figure out how to post a photo I have a pic of me releasing a 9 ft on the Snake River in Hell’s Canyon.

Thanks for the welcome!

13. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks for the pictures tommy...really enjoyed them and look forward to hearing about more of your studies and seeing some more pictures...thanks for posting and keep us updated.

14. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Thanks for the pics...now that is what I call a bunch of fish.