Sturdy stik

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by bluesbrother, Sep 9, 2006.

1. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    anyone ever bend test them? to me they seem like a big whale or tuna rod.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Bluesbrother, I have two MH sturdy sticks and I love them. They aren't as much fun landing eaters as my uglies, but can handle a twenty pounder with no sweat. I have never bend tested them, but the ones I have are really not that stiff. I really like the solid E-glass blank, it's nearly unbreakable. vern

3. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    i bet they can handle a 40 or 50 pounder with no problem.they got one at walmart with a tidewater real i think it was 39 dollers.not to bad at all. thank yea

4. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a sturdy stick and it's a decent rod. I wouldn't recommend them for channels, a little too stiff. Almost feels like you are bringing in bait unless it is over 5 pounds. I don't mind it as a flathead rod though. It can definitely handle the bigger ones. If you need to cast far, it might not be for you. The one I have is only 7 foot tops. You won't maximize your cast with that. They are good for fishing heavy snags when you don't want the fish to run, and you need to overpower them.

5. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I bought two sturdy sticks last year, and I love em. Handled a 60lber no sweat. a little to stiff for dinks, but 10lbs and up they are fine. I wouldnt worry about them at all even with a 100lber on..... Not that , that will ever happen, but ya never know......... They are good rods in my opinion and you cant beat that price...

6. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    My brother got a used one for 12 bucks and it is in perfect shape. I am jealous. I will trade him out of it.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    One word of warning about solid glass rods. The tend to splinter lengthwise when the do break. Quite a nasty thing to happen, but they can take a lot of abuse.

8. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    thanks bros.i love fiberglass rods there strong most of the graphit one i owened brock real easy one was leaning against the wall and fell over and broke about 3 inches off the tip it was my 109 doller allstar popping rod i was sick but put a new eye on it good as new,good luck

9. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I have one, paid 20 bucks for it. It's not much fun using it for smaller fish but yea, I would imagine you could land a fifty pounder with it and not worry about the rod!

10. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I bought a Sturdy Stick rod and a Tidewater reel at Gander Mountain as a combo on sale. To be honest I never fell in love with the Tidewater reel and found it to be more prone to backlash than I most of my other reels. Recently I replaced the Tidewater with a Abu Garcia 6600C4 that I got at a good deal.
    The Sturdy Stick rod with the AG 6600C4 loaded with premium line is a real catfish rod! It throws like a dream and is not too long for boat work. Plus when that clicker goes off breaking your rod is the last of your worries. What the other guys have related here about the rod is true. I have caught some extremely large fish on it. It has gone with me to the coast and on many catfishing adventures. To date I have yet to hook something that was a challange to this rod but yet the tip still has some give to it. I would rate it at a 80 to 100 lb fish rod easy.
    With my new combo the smaller cats will come in like a water skier but when I am on the serious hunt for that big un I don't even cut bait with those small fish in mind. The time is slower between bites but when you get a hit you are in for a ride. The other plus to a stout rod is getting 95% of your fish in fairly quickly. I have caught 10# cats on small spinning rods and after ten + minute battles both the fish and me were exhausted. Since I release most of my fish I want to bring them in fast and fresh for a clean release.

11. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    Hey what is the length and action of the Sturdy Stick. Yall guys got

12. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Bravesnflat25, I have two sturdy sticks. Both are MH action in a 6'6" length. I would like to have had them in 7 foot length, but they weren't available when I ordered mine. Vern