Stupid things we've done

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Arkansascatman777, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Just thought it would make for some funny reading if we would post some of the stupid things we have done on or off the water. Heres one of many of mine.

We went fishing one Saturday and when we got back to the ramp to load the boat someone had stolen my spare tire out of the back of the truck. They also stole a red milk carton that was full of junk. It was just a catch all to keep stuff from rolling around in the back of the truck. I thought well at least they didn't break my window and get inside the truck. The following week i replaced the spare and laughed everytime i thought about them taking the time to steal the box of worthless junk :smile2:. Now fast forward to the following Saturday. We went fishing again but went to a different ramp. It was winter time and the air temp's were 40's for a high and the water temperature was in the upper 30's. I unloaded the pontoon and we took off and caught a limit of blues so we came in. I back the truck in then load the boat hook it up and winch it down. I pull out and notice that the boat was leaning to one side so I get out and sure enough the trailor has a flat tire ( CrAPpPpPp). I've got a spare on the boat so i unhook the boat and figure i'll back it back in the water then pull out and change the flat. Did you notice that i said i unhooked the boat :eek:oooh: . I never unhook it until i get it backed in but for some dumb reason i unhooked it and backed it in and there went the boat :eek:oooh::smile2:. And as luck would have it the wind was blowing away from the dock so the boat just kept getting further and further out. The water temp's were upper 30's so swimming out to get it was out of the question. Luckily there was another boat out and by chance they came in pretty quick and caught my boat for me and brought it to shore. :embarassed:I explained what had happened and thanked them and went to change my flat. Thats when it dawned on me after a little searching that my 4-way was in that box of junk that had been stolen the week before :eek:oooh:. Luckily i noticed this before the other guy leaves and ask him to borrow a 4-way:embarassed:. They let me borrow it but said they were in a hurry and asked me if i would drop it off at the store up from the ramp. I thanked them again and they left. I changed the flat and loaded up. To this day I don't know if they were really in a hurry or they just thought I was a complete idiot and couldn't get away from me fast enough :smile2:.

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    There's something bout boats....I've headed out without my motor.
    I've also run it down the ramp into the water without removing the tie downs to the trailer. It's a lil boat, but it will still float the trailer as it is lil too. I'm sure in a past life, I was on the Titanic.....it's embarrassing, I was in the Navy; but in my defence, they "loaned" me out.
    I'm afraid someday I'm gonna run into "Whistler", and as a mod he will just have to confiscate the lil unit for my safety.

:big_smile:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    It was 1973. A warm september day. I said "I DO" and have been doin ever since. LOL!

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I

OUCH!!!! George, you better watch yourself! :roll_eyes:

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've NEVER done anything stupid - NEVER. Like back the trailer in the water without disconnecting the lights first? NEVER. How about spending 20 minutes while I drift around aimlessly trying to figure out why the motor won't start, only to discover I never hooked up the fuel line? Nope, never done that either. How about while loading my boat, backing too far down the ramp to the point that my back tires were in the water and everytime I hit the gas my tires spun and I slowly slid further into the lake, only to be saved by my 4 wheel drive? Can't say that I've ever done that, either. But I've heard that some people have actually done those very things!!! :wink::smile2:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Aaron I have done alot of those item you listed. But it has took me years to rack them up. Didn't you just get your boat this year. You work fast brother. I have also water traveled several miles, from the dock, to discover I left the tackle and food in the truck. This meant I couldn't even have a picnic.I have some even worse.

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Forgetting to hook up the fuel line was with my buddy on his boat years ago - neither of us could figure it out until 20 min after launching. It turns out we thought the other had taken care of it. The other 2 happened this year. Interestingly enough, this same buddy was "guiding" me down the ramp (into the lake!). I have to take the credit on forgetting to unhook my lights :roll_eyes: I'm sure I will have more stories for years to come :wink:

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Man,are you guys stupid!!!I bet someone even went deer hunting and discoverd he left his ammo back in the truck..............:embarassed:

9. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That wasn't you, was it, Lefty...? :smile2:

10. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    went to baldwin lake thinking awe heck we got enough fuel , ( being used to the little 4 hp johnson and its ability to run all day on a tank and still have plenty . )
    we had the 35 evinrude with 3 on board and all our gear. went from the launch to the far side of the lake and fished till it got hot in the early afternoon then went for a bit of a cruise to cool down before heading back in and ran out !!!!! the trolling motor was very slow going against the wind in whitecaps . i finally had a brainfart and started to jiggle the can around to get a bit of fuel to get pulled up into the hose . this was a juggleing act but it got us in to the dock barely !!!! my son doubts my judgement on fuel
    levels now so he is relentless when we take the boat out to make sure we have enough .
    now you did say off or on the water , sooooo
    one of the realy stupid things i did was imitate an irate boss in front of a fellow worker only to turn and almost walk into this boss who had been standing behind me the whole time:embarassed::embarassed::embarassed: not a good day.

11. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I

Man, those whitecaps on Baldwin can get pretty nasty! I bet that was a fun ride back to the dock!

12. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Jon might want watch who we call stupid might have to refer them to another thread that u started lol.

Well I would have to say mine would have to be the night I was casting my net for shad threw it off one end and heard shad poing over on the other end know bear in mind shad had been mighty hard to come by got to have bait.
    Well I pull my net as fast as I can in a flicker of your eye have it ready to cast again turn heading to the other end of the dock I have a pretty good stride when in a hurry half way across the dock the light goes out I then throw the net still moveing foward next thing Ido I say !!!!!!@@@##$$# as i realize I am know under eye to eye with my bait.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I figure that it takes a certain amount of intelligence to be stupid.Not much,but just a tad.I just don;t seem to have enough to make the grade.Young and dumb at the landing.Got told to shut up or get my butt whipped.Told him that he could not do it.I lied.He did it.He did it 4 more times that summer.I whipped him the last time.Found out later that he let me whip him.He got tired of having to fight me ever time that he came to the landing.Said it just was not worth the pain.Not only could he whip me,he was a lot smarter than I was.In later years talking about it,we both wished that he had been 5 times smarter than he was,It would have saved us both a lot of pain.I think that the dumbest thing that I ever did was learn to talk.My big mouth has got me in more trouble than anything else.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

14. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    It was my seventeenth birthday party...we were out boating around, just because we could, after a night of campin'. I was in the very back of the boat and when we finally banked it, they all got out in a hurry as I waited for them to pull me up on shore. Instead, they pushed me back off in the water without a paddle. It wouldn't have been so stupid of me not to expect it if we didn't do it to everybody else the previous night, but I was oblivious. Then every time I got close to shore, they'd take a ten foot stick and shove me back off. FINALLY after blowing around in the water, I banked it. They all took off running (I'm the biggest out of all of us) and had a real good head start. Sprinting to my truck, I fired it up and floored it. I cut 'em off like a little bunch of cattle, as I slid to a stop and jumped out. I tackled one in a hurry and as he lay on the ground I went after the other. I chased him for about fifteen minutes of pure running, but couldn't get him. Finally, I gave up. With the agreement he'd help me get the last one, 'cause he was real fast...lol He was also the smart one, 'cause when I was busy trying to get the other two, he took off in the boat and wouldn't come back to shore. lol. After it was all said and done, I still only got that one. Guess I still got some payback to hand out...:cool2:

-Red

15. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    . How about while loading my boat, backing too far down the ramp to the point that my back tires were in the water and everytime I hit the gas my tires spun and I slowly slid further into the lake

Aaron.. I think i was there for that at Baldwin LOL

16. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Don't forget to put the plug in:eek:oooh: I have the whole crew check now:eek:oooh::crazy::embarassed::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

17. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    picture this" its early april in yuma az. i had just bought my boat and took it out for the first time with the little lady and the kids to go for a pleasure cruise up the colorado. there were a bunch of boats out there and i was feeling kind of ancy so we went and pulled into a little cove where there were no people. the wind was blowing and i didnt want to get my boat stuck the first day out so i tossed out the anchor. well we sat there for a little while enjoying the weather and decided to head upriver. i went to pull the anchor up and it had gotten stuck on an underwater tree. i pulled on that line so hard that i dislodged the tree and pulled it up with the anchor. i am not kidding it was a tree about 20 feet long and about 6 inches thick.i was mad ause my wife was laughin at me. so we went upriver and cruised around for about 2 hours. went to pull the boat in, the wife backed the trailer down, and i ran the boat up on it. we hooked it up and i told her to pull it out so i could get the tiedowns in the back and start packing everything away. she started pulling the boat out and i heard the most god awfull grinding noise. i told her to stop and i had totally forgot to pull the motor up. needless to say i will never forget that again.

18. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I keep the key and kill switch cord and clip in a cubbyhole in the door of my truck. Well, of course that means that I put the boat in and park the truck and go to the boat and realize that I left the key etc. in the truck. That might not seem so stupid, but I do it every single time! Wouldn't you think I'd figure it out and remember it eventually?

19. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ok, this is posted in another thread, but I can not resist. There is a couple things, but I won't take credit for them, give all the credit to the hubby. We just bought both our boats this summer, a little 2 man bass buggy with a 2.5 Johnson, and trolling motor. We usually use the trolling motor. So off we head for a evening of relaxing, we get to the lake hook up the motor, oops, no battery, ahhh thats ok, we have the gas motor. Nothing spoiled.

Been many times we have forgotten something but been lucky to have something in its place. But I think the stupidest thing, the day after we bought the V bottom John boat, remember the hubby is used to the flat bottom bass buggy that has very good balance. So there is 3 of us in the boat, my dad in the front, (we dock the boat right to the trailor.) He gets out, drags the boat up as far as he can, then I get out, drag the boat up as far as I can, then it is the hubby's turn, well he stands straight up with the back of the boat still in the water on one side of the boat, knocks the balance off, and out he goes. Luckily the water broke his fall, :big_smile:

Now we have docked this boat over and over, so just last weekend, we are out running the boat, come in to dock, my dad in the front of the boat, got out on the side of the boat, rather than in the front, looses his balance, pulls the boat, and over he goes, still hanging on to the boat. Once we found out he was ok it became funny. Now they say it is my turn:roll_eyes:..........HA!! Not happening, I have more common sence than that hehehe.

For the life of me, I can't think of anything stupid I have done on or off the water, however I could go through a long list of things the other half has done LOL, but I won't get greedy and let someone else tell their stories LOL

20. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Why make fun of yourself when you can make fun of others!:smile2::smile2: