stupid reel

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by charbob4jesus, Sep 17, 2008.

1. charbob4jesus

charbob4jesus New Member

State:
    missouri
    i just spooled my reel with 50# line when it exploded after i casted it. so i respooled it and tried it again, same thing. and suggestions?

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    exploded means a birds nest that big bird would fit in?

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    What kind of reel are you trying to spool?
    Maybe you are puttin too much line on?
    Maybe the line has too much memory?
    Maybe you are not spooling it tight enough?

I assume you are using a baitcaster? Adjust the drag for the weight you are using. If you are new to them they take some practice. Educate your thumb!LOL!

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    line may be too big for the reel, and or the line is getting twisted when you're spooling your reel......

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    What kind of reel is you talking about?

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The reel need adjusted and or to heavy of a sinker, the sinker has the spool spinning to fast ,you can thumb it to slow it down and stop the overrun

7. charbob4jesus

charbob4jesus New Member

State:
    missouri
    it is a Abu Garwhatever it is bait caster.

8. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    abu's are great reels, give us more info, it is probably as simple as tightening one of 2 adjustments to slow down the spool when you are casting it...

Model? Pics? What line are you using?

9. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I believe everyone has hit the nail on the head. You need to adjust your reel so it does not spool off as fast. This is a very simple process. First spool your reel off your line drum. You need to make sure that the line is not twisting when you are spooling your reel. What I usually do is spool my reel from the drum of line then I will pull it off the reel again and rereel it in this way I know I am not twisted. The I adjust the tension depending on the rig that I am using. I do this by tie the rig on then hold the rod and reel out level about 4 feet off the ground and push the release. The lure/weight should fall very slowly to the floor. Falls to fast tighten the tension/ does not fall then loosen. I hope this helps

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    How experienced are you at casting a baitcasting reel? If you're just learning how to use one, you are going to have to start out slow with the learning process...unlike a spinning reel, you can't start out with long casts with a baitcaster. Also, you didn't say what model Abu you have, but unless it's a 7000 or larger, but you definitely don't want to do that till you get to where you can cast that reel well with mono. Braided line is great, but when it backlashes, it's much harder to untangle than mono, plus, it's much more expensive.

11. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    im still learning did you keep your thumb on the spool

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well....I can relate to the bird nest with the bait-casters. I have used spinning reels my whole life and recently purchased 4 Bait-casters. A Penn 309, Penn 200 surfmaster and a Penn9m and a Okuma. Ive got 20 lb mono on them and every time I cast them out....Big ole bird nest. I have recently purchased a couple new Monster spinning reels which hold 330 yrds of 30 or 500yrds of 20 lb mono. They are massive reels made by Okuma and they have the Automatic Bait feeders with switch. I love them. I havent learned to master the bait-casters yet....but hopefully one day I will manage to learn how to at least fish with them. Good luck to ya...........:eek:oooh:

13. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    young i was raised on spinning also still use them to bank fish i bought 4 baitcaster to use in my boat i dont really have to caste them i uselly let them drift straight down to drift fish

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yeah...I know what you mean. If I get a boat again one day, I will have some perfect reels to drift or lower straight down. I will keep them all and hopefully learn to cast them a little better, but if not, I'm sure I'll use them somehow. One time I had a big ole Bluegill on a float and couldnt get it to cast out. So I took off about 20 yrds of line and carefully layed it on the ground, then I took the live Bluegill on the float and spun it around and gave a great big throw out into the lake. It went out the 20 yrds and worked like a charm. The best cast I ever made with that 200 surfmaster!!!!:smile2: At least there wasn't a back lash:smile2:

15. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Any time you run 50lb. mono on a baitcasting reel you can be in trouble from the start, unless you have 350yd. capacity ie: Penns or a big saltwater model, skinny your line down to 30 or 40 lb. It's not the reels fault, you just have to work into heavy line before it cast well for you.

16. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I agree. 50# mono is the upper limit for baitcasters, and then only large baitcasters in the hands of an experienced fisherman. I've used baitcasters all of my life, and the heaviest mono I will use is 30#, and that's on Penn Squidders.

Get some braid, like PowerPro, adjust your reel properly, and then ease into it slowly...short casts, heavy on the thumb. You gotta walk before you run. Don't shoot for the moon.

17. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    To adjust your reel more properly to the weight you are casting hold your thumb on the spool and push the free spool button and then let go of the spool and watch the weight. If the weight falls immediately then tighten the cast drag. If it doesn't move at all then loosen it. You want the weight to just start to fall and then you will have the reel set right. As you get better with the reel and become a lot more comfortable with it you can adjust it a little looser as this will give you longer casts but you really have to use your thumb more and you can't whip it like you would a spincast reel.

18. charbob4jesus

charbob4jesus New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks guys im on top of it. i think ill dull down my like and shoot for the 30s then go from there. Thanks again for all the usfull info brothers.

19. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I have a Pflueger PFL 66 baitcaster and it is awesome I use 30# power pro and it casts like a dream. When I use braid on my baitcaster I back it with mono and I also use an arbor to keep mine line from spinning on the spool which helped alot. When you back braid with mono their are only a couple of knots to my knowledge that hold well. Power pro spools on nice for baitcasters cause it comes right out of the box. If you use a regular spool of string like stren or something that isnt in the box for baitcaster it should be spooled with the spool on a pencil and for a spinning it should be spooled with the line laying on the ground coming off the side sometimes when the line is coming off the side it seams to twist like crazy just flip the spool over and take it off the otherside. The other guys told you perfect how to setup the baitcaster mine is a little tricky cause you have to take the rod apart to get to the cintrifgal clutch alot arent like that. lol sorry about the bable just like to talk about fishing and recently had the same problem as you had with 1 of my friends and we took care of that quickly. Later Bro

20. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like it just needs adjusted. I don't have Abus but as a general rule. Put the "average" size sinker that you are going to use on the end of your line. Release the spool. The sinker should just barely move!