Stupid Question on Trolling Motors

Discussion in 'Boating' started by cantstopgrandma, Jan 28, 2008.

1. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    This may be a stupid questions, but here goes anyway. i'm kinda sorta looking at trolling motors for my 14' flatbottom jon boat. I'm kinda thinkin about a bow mount, but they seem about twice the price of a transom mount. Here's the quetion, could i take a transom mount motor and loosen/take off the power head (the part with the handle) and turn it 180 degrees and tighten it back down? Is there any reason this wouldn't work? I know i'd probably be better getting one made for the bow, but i'm on a budget (my wife would even go so far as calling me a tightwad:smile2:). What do yall think?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Done a many one of them that way. Just take the bolt all the way out and take a 16 penny nail and work it thrugh the hole to move the wires out of the way and re-insert the bolt and walla you have a bow mount trolling motor

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  4. pinsley

pinsley New Member

State:
    VA
    By reversing the installation, don't you lose the advantage of a breakaway mount (if the transom mounted motor has this feature)?

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Thanks yall, i thought it would work, but wanted the opinions of people who knew. I wouldn't use a trolling motor much, but it would be nice sometimes. I usually fish rivers and creeks, and wouldn't need a trolling motor, but sometimes i like going to lakes/ponds and fish for bass or panfish. Its a lot easier to use the trolling motor than have to start the gas motor to retreive a hung up lure. My 25hp outboard weighs about 100 pounds, so it stays on the back of the boat, and i think a bow mount would be nicer because of this. Like I said, it seems like the bow mounts are twice the price, which seems stupid to me, because the only difference is the bracket (i've got a jon boat, not a dang bass boat for crying out loud).

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I know the older Minn Kota's You could spin around the head, not so sure on the newer ones

7. dwidder

dwidder New Member

State:
    MO
    Just a thought, you can normally find used equipment on ebay or local classified ads. I'd certainly make sure to try it out before you buy which limits you to local sales if looking on the internet but might help you find a good deal.

8. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    well cantstopgrandpa, I will tell you, I have a 14 ft jon and bought a 50 lb thrust minn-kota transom mount trolling motor, and took bubbakat's advice and did what you asked an turned th head/handle 180 degrees an mounted on th bow, works like a charm. had to, just stayed in th way on th transom with th 9.5 2 stroke next to it. so its not a stupid ?, u can go ahead an do it.

9. apache61

apache61 New Member

State:
    GA
    Done it 3 times so far, if fact thinking about replaceing my foot control with a tiller type up front on the bass boat. Like em better than foot controls

10. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City