Stupid Question about getting poked by big catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by g3l33m, Aug 31, 2009.

1. g3l33m

g3l33m Member

State:
    Pec, Illinois
    OK, I see all you guys with your HUGE fish and you're holding them against your stomachs in the pictures. How are you NOT getting poked by the fin/sticker? Are they completely dull by the time they get that big? (I hate picking up super small catfish because that seems to be when they are the pointy-est.)

thanks,

Greg

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Oh no they will still get ya alright, LOL. With them being big, its just easier to avoid being stuck...it's the little ones squirming around fast that always stick me.

The big ones have bigger fins so its easier to maneuver around them.....

I don't think I answered you very good, LOL.

3. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    1 went into my foot one time,my wife had to pull on its head to get it out,no lie true story.had a hard time walking for like 4 dayz after.

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah as Jim said, the bigger cats are more broad-finned which puts those stickers under a little better control.:wink:

5. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Believe me, the big ones will stick you, they are just easier to handle. Big fish are much easier to get out of the live well than those little eaters. Seems like I get stuck every time trying to wrangle the little ones. Just grab the big ones by the mouth and pull em out! Plus as others have already said, they aren't needle sharp like the babies.

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yup bigger fish are easier to deal with fo sure them lill ones will get ya good and quick(LOL)

7. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    It always has been the little ones that have gotten me. I think their fins are twice as sharp as the larger ones. Plus them little guys can move pretty quick.