STUPID boat question

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by kscatman, Jan 11, 2007.

1. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I just bought a boat, the first i've had in about 15 years. I'm not very mechanically inclined but I think I can change a light bulb on the trailer. My right bulb is bad it got wet there is water in the plastic housing. The housing looks sealed and the wires are sealed to it. Do I have to by a new houing with bulbs, and rewire, and seal it? Is there any way to get inside of the housing to replace the bulb?

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Your best bet is to go ahead and buy a new set of lights. If there's water in there now, they're not 'sealed' very good. I'd think about getting LED's for it as well.

3. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    Look under the housing and you should see 2- small screws, remove screws and replace bulb. mine looks like a sealed unit also but its not. always unplug lights before backing boat trailer in water, and always carry a spare bulb.

4. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Eric most trailer lights are replacable, if yours was sealed it musta been done by someone who had a leak some lights have a small gasket and are considered submersible.... they all leak in time.... cut the seal on yours open it up you may have to remove some screws to remove the lens cover....if it's been wet the light housing may be rusted....up ta you to decided if ya should replace it sometimes WD-40 will do it's magic sumtimes not......to replace it is nothing more than finding one that looks similar or even the same....good old Walmart they carry a few different types....cut the wires and splice them to the new light after mounting it of course.....To prevent blowing the bulbs just unplug your lights before backing your rig into the water....If you don't seal them the water will find it's way out and they will dry out.... they last longer this way...hope this helps..... Top of the day to ya........

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Eric,
    Do Yourself a favor and go to the parts store and buy some Die-electric grease. smear a small amount on the metal part of the bulbs whenever you change them. This will prevent corrosion if/when water gets into the light fixture.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    ... and never try to un-screw a badly corroded trailer light bulb by hand. It'll crush in your fingers and you'll bleed for hours... Ask me how I know...:confused2:

First thing I'd do is invest in a new set of LED trailer lights. Cost a bit more but you'll never have to worry about changing the bulbs.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    ......And after you crush the bulb,and bloody your fingers. make sure you unplug the trailer before You go digging the metal part out of the socket with Your needle nose pliers. otherwise you'll blow that impossible to find trailer light fuse....and spend an hour hunting it down!!!!

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If it were mine the moeny I spent on trailer lights would be in raising them so they never get submerged.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Raising them, what a great idea. I'll bet they'd stay dry up on trialer guide on's:wink:

10. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I have tried serveral different ways with the last two boats prior to my new one.
    To begin with always unplug the lights when preping the boat to launch. I have used detachable ones that attach to the boat and this worked good as well. However, one particular boat trailer is also used to carry my quad and other things at times, and so I finally did rig lights to the frame at the back.
    I still Had to do maintence quite often even with submerable ones.
    My latest old boat, that I launced many times in the dark, was illuminated quite well. I raised the lights on side bumpers that helped allign the boat when when comming back in with a cross wind. After I raised the lights, I did not have to un plug the lights, and now it is lighted to see when backing my trailer up, and more importantly, when comming in when it is dark. Only poroblem is that with the height of the trailer, the lights tend to wobble or oscilate when driving, and so I put a bungee to keep it from moving much. I even had a back up system on each side for emergencies.

Check out the boat prior to selling and lots of things removed.

bayrunner ray

11. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Well there are a lot of good answers comming your way.
    What I would like to say is in my book there are no stupid questions otherwise we assume and most everyone knows what that does.

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Elevating the lights, using the guide on posts will be one of the best things you've done. Using the LED fixtures will be a big PLUS.

I'll try to send some pics of my setup.

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Lots of ways to fix your lights. When fishing the Chesapeake bay, I mounted trailer lights on a pvc pipe, then fastened the lights to the trailer with bungee cords. Simple matter to unplug the lights, remove them from the boat and put in the pickup. But, you must provide a separate ground for this feature. Then I got to lazy for that, so I fabricated metal poles which stuck up about a foot over the sides of the boat... Mounted the lights on them. They were bolted to the frame, which provided the ground. Kept them out of the water, served as guides to back the trailer, never blew a bulb due to the hot bulb/cold water syndrome. If you mount the lights high, you don't have to unplug them (told you I was lazy). But, for your present condition, I'd say to trash the lights you now have as I don't believe you will be able to clean them sufficiently to maintain a good ground with the bulb. No ground- no light.

14. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    on my 1996 model, there are two wires and both bulbs are in a sealed cell. The first time I had to replace them it took me awhile to figure out.

I cut the wires and put connectors on them so I could plug/unplug easily.
    The entire light replacement module is $6-7 and seems to last a long time. I think I have bought two in 10 years. The wiring seems to give more trouble than the actual bulbs. Here is a pic but not a good pic.

http://www.boatersworld.com/product...ering-;citrailer-lighting;cilights-reflectors

15. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    Thanks for the help guys!! I went ahead and installed an LED light set, with a little help fron Charlie Ballenger "center12".

16. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    The # 1 pain in the --- are the trailer lights. All these guys are right. If you fix it now while you have more time it will save a lot of hassle later.
    My buddy and I both switched to LED lights which are great, but they make all trailer lights so they break when anything touches them. Reposition your lights where they won't brush up against anything when backing up, and where your boat won't accidentally hit them when pulling in. Also, how about those cheap trailer plate holders. We broke off two so far and lost the plates once. Change those too, enen if you have to make up something yourself. I wish they were made of titanium.