Stunted crappie

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by kspor, May 3, 2006.

1. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have several lakes around here where they have stunted crappie. Some have no limit and others say 50/day. I cant seem to filet these lil buggers and end up with much. Anyone ever scale them and fry them whole? Are they any good that way? Any tricks on filleting these so I dont mangle them.

Thanks for your responses.

2. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Sure, you can fry them whole. I have done that before and almost always to that with blue gill. Oh great, now i'm getting hungry! :lol:

Eric

3. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    fry them whole? is there any other way to fix them?

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'd fry them whole.... I ahte filleting little pan fish it seems like a waste.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    You may already filet like this.

If not, maybe that will help.

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I was filleting them like that but I was told I was wrong. I'm going back to my way!

7. bryophyte

bryophyte New Member

Kspor, sorry to hear about the stunted crappies, but they are certainly good to eat fried whole, as other memebrs of this board have said. If you get one that seems just a little too big to fry, try slitting along the top and bottom fins. then pulling those fins out with catfish pliers (for a good grip, that's all). This removal of the fins reduces space required in the pan, and it allows heat to reach into the deepest part of the meat well. Just delicious. Best wishes from down here in LA.

8. CarolinaCatter

CarolinaCatter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I grew up fishing a lake with stunted crappie. All my fishing buddies decided it was because there were so many in the lake. So we started catching and keeping every crappie we caught, whether it was 4in or bigger. We cleaned every one. If your careful and take your time you will get a delicous little strip of meat. If yoiu have enough of them its makes a nice meal. And by the way, after about two years of constantly removing these fish, we started catching slabs. good fish.
    Hope this helps!

9. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    if u guys will have the wildlife dept. stock 1-2 lb bass and put them off limits for 2 years (bass) they will fix ur stunted croppies problem. lakes that are over fished for bass all have a small panfish prob. best fix.

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Call me a novice if ya wanna but, I have never filleted crappie...I have always fried em whole...those babies are too good to waste any meat.
    I'm not the best at filleting (in case you all have not figured it out:roll_eyes: ).

11. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    Golly!! you guys are making me hungry. I think i'll have to take my last bag of filets out of the freezer and eat them in a couple of days. I'm a catfisherman all spring and summer long, but in the winter I switch to crappie mode.