stunning catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by shane12970, Nov 2, 2007.

1. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    what are the laws on this in alabama. i saw someone doing ot this weekend and im just curious...thanks

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    This is all i could find on your state, so i would say it is illegal for just anyone to be doing it.

Section 9-11-91

Catching, etc., of fish in private ponds, lakes, pools or reservoirs.

(a) It is hereby made unlawful for any person to take, catch or kill or attempt to take, catch or kill fish or aid in the taking, catching or killing of fish of any species by the means or use of a seine, net, trap or any similar or other device which may be used for taking, catching, killing or stunning fish or by the use of hook and line, rod and reel or by use of dynamite or other explosives or by the use of any poison, poisonous substance, fishberries, lime or other deleterious or poisonous matter in any private pond, private lake, private pool or private reservoir of this state, except as otherwise specifically provided in this section.
    (b) Any person who violates any of the provisions of subsection (a) of this section at any time shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall, on conviction, be fined not less than $25.00 nor more than $100.00, but if the violation is for seining, netting, dynamiting or poisoning fish in such private bodies of water, the fine shall be not less than $200.00 nor more than $500.00, and the convicted violator may also be imprisoned in the county jail or sentenced to hard labor for the county for not more than six months at the discretion of the court.
    (c) The provisions of this section shall not apply to the owner of any private pond, private lake, private pool or private reservoir or to any member of his family or his duly authorized agent, lessee or any other person holding from the owner specific written authorization or any person who accompanies the owner or person in possession or control of such private body of water.
    (d) Any federal or state agent engaged in research, restocking or rescue work shall be exempt from the provisions of this section, or any private fish culturist who holds a written permit from the owner or person in charge of said private pond, private lake, private pool or private reservoir shall also be exempt.
    (e) All money arising from fines, penalties or forfeitures for violations of this section shall be forwarded to the Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources by the trial court on the first day of each month and shall be covered by him into the Game and Fish Fund of said Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.

3. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    yes its illegal and a fine from 250 to 500 for possion of a device capable.. on public waters... i wrote the wildlife department...

It is illegal! It is only legal for Sport’s fisherman to take fish by: Rod and Reel, Hook and Line, Trotline, Set Line, Snag Line or Snare Line, Bow fishing, spear, gigs or Grabbling.

It is also illegal to possess electrical devices capable of “shocking” fish while on public waters. Fines for possessing and/or utilizing are $250 to $500.

Educational Organizations can apply for Scientific Collection Permits by calling our Montgomery Enforcement Office at 334-242-3467.

To Report Violations Contact District I Law Enforcement 256-353-2634 or 1-800-272-4263.
    Kym Champion
    District I Law Enforcement

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I love catchin fish as much as anyone, but it kills me that someone would take such a risk and go to so much trouble to catch(stun) them. Kinda takes all the fun out of it I'd think :roll_eyes: