Stumpy Pond Catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by fishingfool, Jul 12, 2009.

1. fishingfool

fishingfool New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Has anyone been catching or caught any big cats in Stumpy Pond????
    I ahve caught some small ones but am looking for the big 'uns. Thanks for any reply .

2. fishingfool

fishingfool New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Went to Stumpy Pond, was having a good day catching some smaller fish 2-5 lbers. Then out of nowhere my motor would not fire. Just went through this same thing a week ago and replaced the sparkplug. Now after paddling against the wind in a flat bottom johnboat it is time for a mechanic to take a gander at this $%%@%$.

3. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I know that feeling. paddling isn't my idea of a fun day fishing.

I assume you were catching 2-5lber catfish? I have never cat fished in there yet

I landed 2 nice bass over 4 pounds in there last week, using a shaky head worm

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    fishingfool hate to hear of your motor troubles but at least its a small area of water. I fished Stumpy Pond a few years back for bass and did ok but didn't get to catfish it due to a fast moving storm. I've heard some crappie fishermen talk about catching cats while doing some nightstalking for crappie.

5. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Stumpy Pond has some nice Blues in there,have caught a few small ones there Crappie fishing in winter and spring,if you wanna target the Big Boys try in the old river channel on the ledges and humps in deeper water towards the Cedar Creek Dam.You can also run up in the river towards the upper dam,there are some nice bends in there with some deep holes that hold some good fish.There are also some good Striper to be had in there,not many folks fish for them but they are there and in decent numbers,Stumpy is a fine fishery for Bass,Crappie Striper and Cats,wish I had more time to fish it than I do.When I do get a chance to go it is mostly targeting Crappie in their winter pattern,it holds some real slabs.:big_smile:

6. fishingfool

fishingfool New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yes I too have caught some 15+lb hybrid striped bass out there and some nice crappie in the trees up near the old river bed. I just recently started back catfishing in there and heard a few people @ the landings talking about nice 10+ blues but would not tell me where they hooked 'em. I appreciate the advice and will try that as soon as I get my motor fixed. I have to carry it to Rockhill today.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  7. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Go up to the old bridge that crosses right below the dam. Wait till they turn on the water and throw out some good old cut bait and on.:smile2:
    If its the same place i'm thinking of, you use to cross the bridge and go right up to the dam, stand out on the point there and cast into the running water and catch nice cats. Thats been over 25yrs ago. Think how big they are now.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  8. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Hey, Guys, where is Stumpy Pond?

9. fishingfool

fishingfool New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It is the pool of water between Great Falls and the head of Lake Wateree. (Cedar Creek Dam). The Army Corps bent the natural river toward Great Falls to build a hydo plant. When they did that they flooded a forest area hence the name Stumpy Pond.:big_smile:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009