Stumpjumper's "Up North" Flatheadin' Thread

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by stumpjumper, Jun 26, 2008.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Every year I head back to Northern Indiana to visit friends and family, and of course do a little fishin'. This is a great time for me to get out on the water with some great friends that I fished with for over 15 years. During this short time "up North" I hope to get in a number of all night Flatheadin' trips. Rather than start multiple threads I figured that I will just post to this thread any pictures and trip reports that I have over the next few weeks for anyone that is interested.

The first trip was with a good friend Dan (catmandan123) on June 21st. We fished the entire night and caught four Flatheads. The two big fish were 29# and 17#. The water temp. was in the mid-70s and most fish came from brush and wood adjacent to deeper holes. Fish were caught on both cut and live bluegill.

Attached Files:

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I got out for another night on the river with my good friend Mike. We had a great assortment of bait including bluegill, rock bass and hybrid sunfish. The water temp. was in the low 70s and the river level dropped slowly all night. We primarily focused on wood piles both up and down river from deep holes. The trip started with a 10# Flathead at dusk and ended with a 13# Channel at dawn! Which tied my PB Channel from some 14 years ago. In total we had 4 Flatheads and two Channels. Ironically, both Channels took live bait and several Flatheads took cutbait. It was a great night out on the river.

Attached Files:

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Go Marc! :big_smile: Your reports and pics are always 1st class! :cool2: Keep them coming! Very inspirational! :big_smile:

4. dixiedeerslaya

dixiedeerslaya New Member

State:
    south carolina
    :big_smile:nice fish....

5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Well, I got out with catmandan123 for another all night Flatheadin' trip. The weather forecast was absolutely horrible with the threat for severe weather imminent...or so it seemed! We must have been in some sort of protective bubble because we were not even touched by a drop of rain until 8:30 AM...perfect.

This time catching bait was a breeze so we hoped the Flathead bite would be as good. It was a warm night on the river and the water temp. was around 75degrees. After fishing a 28 foot hole without success, we moved to a series of smaller holes. These holes had some nice breaks in the current and plenty of structure. This is where 123 had his epic double and the highlight of the night. The first 20# fish took a live bream. After a few photos another rod was slammed, this time on cut bream. Wow, a nice 26#er! There's nothing like a double! Look at the scars on the 26#er, crazy.

The next thing that happened was I once again tied my personal best Channel cat (13#)! Twice in one week now I have beaten my PB Channel of nearly 15 years. This was an awesome spawning male with a HUGE slate-colored head. It was so dang skinny that I can't help but wonder what he would have weighed during another time of the season.

In all, we caught three Flatheads and the Channel. Another great night on the river.

Attached Files:

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Way to go Marc and Dan. Sounds like a great night. I bet that scar came from spawn. That is a nice channel. I love catchin them spawnin males. Alot of people mistake them for blues because they dont look at all like a regular channel. You guys are doin pretty well up north.