Stumped again! Need Help!!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Lawdawg, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Lawdawg

Lawdawg New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Guys and Ladies, I am here to draw from the wealth of wisdom once again. I finally got to go fishing this year. Went to Watts Bar dam yesterday for a while anyways, got too rough had to go to Louden Dam. I tried the cast net at the edge of the current and against the wall, no bait. I also threw 3 crappie jigs at every piece of current or discharge that I could find around the dams still no skipjacks and no bait fish of any kind. So I ended up going and getting some crawlers and caught 1 bream and 2 white bass for bait. Please help me. How can I come up with some skipjacks, gizzard shad or heck I'll take thread fin at this point. I just need to know in the "how to for dummies" version how do I get bait fish in cold weather and water conditions.

2. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I would say if those tactics are not working for you, find the birds. The birds will follow the bait fish and you will have more than you can use.

3. Lawdawg

Lawdawg New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I threw the cast net where the birds were, I got 3 thread fins but they were so little that they were just tangled up in the outside of the net. I watched the birds to see if they were getting any bigger ones and they weren't. I'm just really stumped. I have no idea how to come up with some good bait right now.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you cant find shad its probably cause they deep.this is a good time to find a small creek or pond and catch some gills.they are easy to keep alive in cold weather and make almost as good a cut bait as skips.

5. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    If you have a fish finder and find them deep, I have added rope to my cast net to get down to those bait balls and mark you rope so you will know how deep your net has fallen. I used colored electrical tape to make the feet.

6. Lawdawg

Lawdawg New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    good idea about the tape on the cast net. I have been googling skipjack and I read about fly fishermen tearing them up in cold water but said that the skips are at mid water levels. anyone know if this is true or can add anything to that. If this is true I was going about it all wrong.

7. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    mike, i have been to loudon dam the past 3 weekends and no luck on the skipjacks yet ,...everyone there was stopping by and asking if i had any luck because they didnt have any either ......i will keep trying till i get into them running there .....as soon as i start catching em there i will put up a post for ya and let ya know .......

8. Lawdawg

Lawdawg New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks, I really apperciate that. What are you using for bait right nowe then?

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    At this time of year you may want to try some of those herring from the fish on bait co. that sponsors us.

10. cassk

cassk New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I think all the skips went north for the winter :wink:. good luck on finding them.

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I also say herring. Thats all Ive been using here. I couldnt find a bream to save my life atm. I also do my cast netting at night when I can.

-Jim-