Stuffed (Unstuffed) Cabbage

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by jtrew, May 12, 2008.

1. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Stuffed cabbage leaves are a favorite of ours, but they're a pain to make, and it's often hard to find cabbages large enough to do the job. An easy (lazy) solution is to make a cabbage casserole of ground beef and cabbage. My problem is that every recipe I can find uses tomatoes in some fashion: juice, sauce, paste, etc., and that's just too different from the recipe we use to make stuffed cabbage. I'm looking for a recipe that uses either cracker crumbs or rice mixed with the ground beef, along with some beef bouillon. The meat and cabbage are layered into a baking dish and more bouillon is poured over the top before baking. Yeah, I know I can experiment and come up with the recipe I want, but did you notice my use of the term 'lazy' above?

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    stuffed cabbage is one of my favorite meals. I have my mothers recipe at the house if you would like? the actual stuffing is ground meat with rice....she does use tomato in hers, but it's just in the sauce that they're braised in. If you're looking for jumbo cabbage you'll probably have to wait until next winter. they are in season during the cold month, which is about the best time for a plate of stuffed cabbage is on a cold winter night. when i get home i will pm ya my mom's recipe, you can ommit what ya want to out of it......but i think you will really enjoy it........yum yum- bassmassey

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have only eaten stuffed cabbage once ,and I loved it . I'm getting the wife interested in trying to make a batch in the future.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I havent had it in years but love it. Gonna have to try it with lamb and hot peppers and feta cheese, This just came to mind. :wink: I remember eating something like this with grape leaves.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, I tried a batch. No recipe, so I had to just 'wing it'. Coarsely shredded one medium head of cabbage into a pan. Made a meat mixture of ground beef, sausage, uncooked instant oatmeal, spices, a couple of eggs, and some beef bouillon. I used regular uncooked 3-minute oatmeal in the past, but couldn't find it on short notice. Spread the meat mixture on top of the cabbage layer, then shredded a second medium head for a top layer. Poured more beef bouillon on top and baked. Turned out fairly good, but just didn't have enough meat for the amount of cabbage I had. I'll try another batch in a couple or three weeks. If I can't find anything but instant oatmeal, I think I'll try using rice instead.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    We grill cabbage alot. Just season it, throw in some butter, wrap it in foil and toss it on the grill for about 30 minutes. I'll try stuffing some now, thanks.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Use your original recipe Jerry, just pretend that the casserole dish is one big cabbage roll. I would use one with high sides. Cover the bottom with blanched leaves, you can even come up and over the sides, put in your filling, then put on the other half of the blanches cabbage leaves and fold the sides back on the top. Cover with your liquid, then cover the dish for about half of the cooking time then brown a little. Just picture it as one big roll.... :big_smile:
    so simple, so easy!